INTERNATIONAL DISASTER DECLARATION
RE: Oglala Sioux Pine Ridge Indian Reservation
STATE OF EMERGENCY
Governor Michael Rounds of South Dakota has declared the State a disaster area. However, Indian Reservations are NOT included in the declaration.
I, Russell Means, due to the total absence of Tribal Government and its leadership, and as candidate for Tribal President and Chief Facilitator of the Republic of Lakotah, am declaring an INTERNATIONAL STATE OF EMERGENCY.
The reason for this declaration is two-fold: 1) The current life-threatening severe weather conditions and 2) The ongoing genocidal policies of the United States Government that still remain unaddressed:
- Unknown thousands are still stranded by high snow drifts for 3rd straight day.
- Unknown number of people without heat and/or electricity.
- Impassable road conditions preventing emergency services and propane deliveries.
- Confirmed fatality due to inability to get to dialysis treatment. Status of other dialysis patients is unknown.
- Second fatality bled to death due to no emergency services.
- Tribal President Steele and Vice President Brewer