It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:52 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 6   [ 103 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New painting...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:10 pm 

Howard1964 wrote:
i like that calligraphy...very elegant:)

There are 6 basic styles of Arabic script. That particular style is called Di'wani and it leaves a lot of freedom for the writer. This is another example of the Bismillah written in the Di'wani script. Here you see the freedom the writer has in the script. Takes a lot of imagination to write, but is actually very easy to read.

Di'wani is used primarily for decorative purposes in the Mosque or at home. Many Muslims will have it in their doorway so it is the first thing they will see it when they enter or leave home, it is a reminder that we are to do all things in the name of the Creator. the interior of a Mosque is very empty normally there is no furniture or chairs except for some to be used by non-Muslim visitors or the elderly and handicapped. The walls are bare, except sometimes some hangings of Calligraphy which is often the Bismillah, the Shahadah and some Quotes from the Qur'an. The Bismillah and Shahada will usually be in Di'wani while the quotes from the Qur'an will be in any of the standard scripts that are used for reading, such as Naskh or Thuluth.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:25 pm 

Woodrow very Beautifull this one with the yellow writing looks like a bird . I like the way you said that a work of art no matter how humble is a prayer and also a act of gratitute towards the CREATOR for his gifts of mercy .I never ever thougth that I would be gratefull for a feather and get inspiration to work with it and feel so much love for it .this in its self is a prayer to me .

I thank the Creator and first Nation.s people for revealing this kind of gratitute to me .Pilamaya Rainbow

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:46 pm 

wow im impressed:)

wish i knew more how to create like that...i have the hand for it, just not the knowledge of the language

I must walk the red path, it is the only one...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:31 pm 

Thank you for sharing woodrow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:51 pm 

ghostwarrior wrote:
Thank you for sharing woodrow.

Perhaps we should thank Howard for starting the thread. The sharing of art is the sharing of prayers. I went out and bought a new set of Calligraphy brushes. Inshallah (If God allows) I will be able to share some of my own work sometime next week.

Art is a window into the heart of the artist and all Native American art has allowed me to see some very pure hearts and to feel the love of all creation they share.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:03 pm 

Yes Woodrow truely pure hearts .and an awesome Love for the Creation .Rainbow
Nice that you are also here Ghostwarrior be Blest

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:10 pm 

Howard1964 wrote:
wow im impressed:)

wish i knew more how to create like that...i have the hand for it, just not the knowledge of the language

But, you do create like that. The only difference is instead of making words look like pictures, you make pictures look like words. Your eagle tells a very powerful prayer and a reminder of the Beauty and Love in the strength of the Creator. The eye of your eagle is a prayer that makes me pause and think that the creator can and does look deep into my heart and that I need to be certain that there will be some good and love to be seen.

If I were to recite your painting as a Du'a I see the words as being. "Allaah, help me be pure in words,thoughts and actions. So that my heart will be found worthy when you look into it."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:49 pm 

i am honored that you see that in my work...may the creator bless you and yours brother:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:14 am 

Hau,mitaku.
Found this,by Michael Kabotie.
Hope you like it.

Attachments:
michael_kabotie_art_m.jpg
michael_kabotie_art_m.jpg [ 64.82 KiB | Viewed 8731 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:35 pm 

I like this a lot!!

thank you for posting! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:12 am 

Wonderful painting, great discussion. Muslim calligraphy has always struck me, I would love to have some carved into the walls of my home while I am building it - I hope for the day.

The construction of the home is also a prayer, and so must also come from the individual and the family who will live in it. Maybe that is why the world has gone so crazy - we stopped building our own homes and so do not even respect the shelter we have been given by the creator, the most basic thing we need to survive and prosper.

Thinking of that day I will begin that prayer gives me much hope, despite everything. Thank you all for sharing, it is inspiring me to pick up my charcoals again!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:36 pm 

JimCasy wrote:
Wonderful painting, great discussion. Muslim calligraphy has always struck me, I would love to have some carved into the walls of my home while I am building it - I hope for the day.

The construction of the home is also a prayer, and so must also come from the individual and the family who will live in it. Maybe that is why the world has gone so crazy - we stopped building our own homes and so do not even respect the shelter we have been given by the creator, the most basic thing we need to survive and prosper.

Thinking of that day I will begin that prayer gives me much hope, despite everything. Thank you all for sharing, it is inspiring me to pick up my charcoals again!

Peace Jim Casey,

Arabic Calligraphy can be quite decorative. But if you choose to use any, be aware that it is a prayer or supplication. While I do not know of any of us Muslims who would object to you using any as decoration within your home please be aware of the meaning and do not use any in which you do not agree with the payer. One of the most beautiful you will find is the Kalimath (Bismillah) and I think even most non-Muslims will agree with the meaning. "In the name of God, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful" It is the most common supplication we write and say. It is the first thing we say before beginning anything, as a reminder that all we do should be with the thought of it being done as a worship.

Some calligraphic forms of the Kalimath are:

What makes the freedom and differences in the writing is the artists choice to use the pronunciation marks as part of it. In our daily writing of Arabic, most words are only written with the main consonanats of the root word with out the pronunciation marks. Very plain looking.

Arabic can be a little confusing there are 6 main scripts we use and in each script a letter can have up to four different forms and add in the 4 different pronunciation marks for each letter, With a little imagination, the world of the calligrapher, is unlimited.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:10 pm 

Woodrow,

Thank you for sharing these thoughts with me, they are refreshing. I know that before I am able to build my home, I will have to go through a process of supplication and purification, and meditating on such things as the Kalimath I'm certain would aid me in that respect.

I'm reminded of some things. First, of what I've learned from my muslim brothers the past few years, such as the real meaning of Jihad. Correct me if I am wrong - but I was taught that it is a means of purifying oneself, discarding sin by fostering ones discipline, and being increasingly dedicated to meditation and prayer in All things.

Also, the second letter-word of the hebrew alphabet is "beth" which means "home". It corresponds symbolically to the principle action of Creation, the fabrication of order and light from chaos, the will of god coming from spirit into manifestation. I learned that also in the past couple of years, and it has governed my thinking on building my home since. One's home should always be in dedication to creation itself.

I wonder, how many letters are in a single script? I can see now how Muslim writers are able to create such lovely organic forms with their words.

At this crossroads I find a great deal of comfort and inspiration - this place where Islam and Lakotah meet, sharing blessings, works of art in a graceful state of continual worship. Surely a blessed place for wandering spirits.

Peace be upon you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:46 pm 

JimCasy wrote:
Woodrow,

Thank you for sharing these thoughts with me, they are refreshing. I know that before I am able to build my home, I will have to go through a process of supplication and purification, and meditating on such things as the Kalimath I'm certain would aid me in that respect.

I'm reminded of some things. First, of what I've learned from my muslim brothers the past few years, such as the real meaning of Jihad. Correct me if I am wrong - but I was taught that it is a means of purifying oneself, discarding sin by fostering ones discipline, and being increasingly dedicated to meditation and prayer in All things.

The concept of Jihad is difficult to explain. There are 2 forms of Jihad, the greater Jihad and the lesser Jihad. What youu are speaking of is part of the greater Jihad. It is the inner battle we all face and need to win. The overcoming of our own tendency to sin. While we do not practice meditation in the usual concept of meditation we strive to see all of our words, thoughts and actions as being prayers.

The lesser Jihad is more visible and while important is the easiest Jihad to fight. That is the act of physical war against those who attack us. We are not to be aggressors and are only permitted to wage war in self defense.

JimCasy wrote:
Also, the second letter-word of the hebrew alphabet is "beth" which means "home". It corresponds symbolically to the principle action of Creation, the fabrication of order and light from chaos, the will of god coming from spirit into manifestation. I learned that also in the past couple of years, and it has governed my thinking on building my home since. One's home should always be in dedication to creation itself.

In Arabic the second letter is ba, it carries with it the concept of in or within Such as if I were to say "I speak Arabic" I would say "N'cal b'el Arbeea" meaning I speak in the Arabic. Somehow that concept of in is appropriate thought for ones house. "B'el Dar" in the house.

JimCasy wrote:
I wonder, how many letters are in a single script? I can see now how Muslim writers are able to create such lovely organic forms with their words.

Entire sentences or thoughts are often written without separation as if they are just one word. So this can be a considerable number. Plus in the Di'wani form of calligraphy all of the Dipathongs (Pronunciation symbols are shown. these are often mistaken for letters by non-Arabic speakers. The Kalamath is usually written as if it were one word, but it is actually 8 words- B' ism Il Laahi ir Rahman ir Raheem and consists of 17 letters and up to 68 diphthongs, depending on how elaborate the writer feels. If the write is striving for it to be carefully and slowly pronounced with tajweed there will be 68 if the writer is only seeking visual recognition of the words the will be no diphthongs.

JimCasy wrote:
At this crossroads I find a great deal of comfort and inspiration - this place where Islam and Lakotah meet, sharing blessings, works of art in a graceful state of continual worship. Surely a blessed place for wandering spirits.

Peace be upon you!

As a Muslim I feel very comfortable among the Lakotah. I see nothing in the Lakotah beliefs that would make them anti-Islamic. While we may have some differences in worship, there is nothing I find about the Lakotah religion I would consider to be sinful. I might feel they have not reached fullness, but I have no reason to disagree with what they do believe and I do know they will allow me to worship as I see correct, without interference or criticism. I can openly live as a Muslim among the Lakotah without fear or intolerance.

wa Salaam Jim Casey

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:37 am 

woodrow wrote:
JimCasy wrote:
Woodrow,

The concept of Jihad is difficult to explain. There are 2 forms of Jihad, the greater Jihad and the lesser Jihad. What youu are speaking of is part of the greater Jihad. It is the inner battle we all face and need to win. The overcoming of our own tendency to sin. While we do not practice meditation in the usual concept of meditation we strive to see all of our words, thoughts and actions as being prayers.

The lesser Jihad is more visible and while important is the easiest Jihad to fight. That is the act of physical war against those who attack us. We are not to be aggressors and are only permitted to wage war in self defense.

JimCasy wrote:

In Arabic the second letter is ba, it carries with it the concept of in or within Such as if I were to say "I speak Arabic" I would say "N'cal b'el Arbeea" meaning I speak in the Arabic. Somehow that concept of in is appropriate thought for ones house. "B'el Dar" in the house.

JimCasy wrote:

Entire sentences or thoughts are often written without separation as if they are just one word. So this can be a considerable number. Plus in the Di'wani form of calligraphy all of the Dipathongs (Pronunciation symbols are shown. these are often mistaken for letters by non-Arabic speakers. The Kalamath is usually written as if it were one word, but it is actually 8 words- B' ism Il Laahi ir Rahman ir Raheem and consists of 17 letters and up to 68 diphthongs, depending on how elaborate the writer feels. If the write is striving for it to be carefully and slowly pronounced with tajweed there will be 68 if the writer is only seeking visual recognition of the words the will be no diphthongs.

JimCasy wrote:

Peace be upon you!

As a Muslim I feel very comfortable among the Lakotah. I see nothing in the Lakotah beliefs that would make them anti-Islamic. While we may have some differences in worship, there is nothing I find about the Lakotah religion I would consider to be sinful. I might feel they have not reached fullness, but I have no reason to disagree with what they do believe and I do know they will allow me to worship as I see correct, without interference or criticism. I can openly live as a Muslim among the Lakotah without fear or intolerance.

wa Salaam Jim Casey

Hau Woodrow,

once more you reveal your wisdom... and in return all we have ever asked from any who come upon our lands is the same respect for our culture, lifeways, relgion and customs. Be in a good way for yourself on this day my friend.

Allen

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:07 pm 

ghostwarrior wrote:

Hau Woodrow,

once more you reveal your wisdom... and in return all we have ever asked from any who come upon our lands is the same respect for our culture, lifeways, relgion and customs. Be in a good way for yourself on this day my friend.

Allen

Hau Allen,

Any wisdom is the wisdom the Lakotah have shown. Few people upon this earth have shown as much tolerance of other people shown by the Lakotah. Sadly, this was seen as a weakness by those who came to destroy. But, as time passes by, I believe the wisdom of the First Nation people will be seen and at that time there will be much sorrow by the conquerers who see the treasure they could have shared and now will never gain.

The destructive path of the wasicu may have gained control of land and minerals, but it has blocked their path to the creator and never will they be part of the land. They reaped being little more than insects walking over it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:51 am 

Quote:

Salam wa aleikum Woodrow.

What you speak of here is the essential wisdom that far too few people understand in these ages of constant war. It is simple to shed blood; it is difficult to maintain purity of life and spirit. Most Americans I have encountered have this exactly opposite: they feel going to church once a week (easy to do) acts to keep them in creator's thoughts, while they spend the rest of the week concerned with the details of destruction (more dedication required).

Quote:
The destructive path of the wasicu may have gained control of land and minerals, but it has blocked their path to the creator and never will they be part of the land. They reaped being little more than insects walking over it.

Our corrupt leaders have spoken much of "weapons of mass destruction" for the last decade, yet I know now that a "culture of mass destruction" is far worse. Everything we Americans do is dependent on destruction. To eat we must mass produce crops that destroy the land. To move we must mass produce oil and gas that destroy the land and sky. To get more oil and gas we must mass produce weapons and commit ourselves to war.

Life blooms out of the dance of death and chaos, but destruction is unnecessary. Destruction cuts the cycle of life, death and rebirth in two - it forces an end to those things which have not achieved fullness of life and spirit.

Does this mean that things which grow out of destruction are farther from creator's sight, while those that grow out of death are even closer to creator? In this way, those who die are redeemed, those who kill are forced away; Those who find a rebirth of self when surrounded by death are enlightened, and those who wallow in pity and defeat are made hollow?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:20 pm 

JimCasy wrote:
Quote:

Salam wa aleikum Woodrow.

What you speak of here is the essential wisdom that far too few people understand in these ages of constant war. It is simple to shed blood; it is difficult to maintain purity of life and spirit. Most Americans I have encountered have this exactly opposite: they feel going to church once a week (easy to do) acts to keep them in creator's thoughts, while they spend the rest of the week concerned with the details of destruction (more dedication required).

Quote:

Our corrupt leaders have spoken much of "weapons of mass destruction" for the last decade, yet I know now that a "culture of mass destruction" is far worse. Everything we Americans do is dependent on destruction. To eat we must mass produce crops that destroy the land. To move we must mass produce oil and gas that destroy the land and sky. To get more oil and gas we must mass produce weapons and commit ourselves to war.

Life blooms out of the dance of death and chaos, but destruction is unnecessary. Destruction cuts the cycle of life, death and rebirth in two - it forces an end to those things which have not achieved fullness of life and spirit.

Does this mean that things which grow out of destruction are farther from creator's sight, while those that grow out of death are even closer to creator? In this way, those who die are redeemed, those who kill are forced away; Those who find a rebirth of self when surrounded by death are enlightened, and those who wallow in pity and defeat are made hollow?

wa Alaikum Salaam wa Ramatullahi wa Baraktuhu JimCasey,

Very good post.

I find the last paragraph to be very profound. Interesting view and true.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:38 pm 

Glad you liked it.Found this by the same painter...he had some interesting views on the 'ownership' rights of 'cultural property'.

Attachments:
Kachina Still Life -Kabotie,M.[504h].jpg
Kachina Still Life -Kabotie,M.[504h].jpg [ 73.46 KiB | Viewed 8554 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:20 pm 

Thermlin wrote:
Glad you liked it.Found this by the same painter...he had some interesting views on the 'ownership' rights of 'cultural property'.

Very interesting painting and like nearly all genuine First Nation art the symbolism is quite poignant and the painting tells quite a story. Although I can only grasp part of the message I see reference to 7 tribes, 3 days of rain and the regrowth of the earth.

Quite interesting and the artistic arraignment is in excellent harmony. The work can be enjoyed as just being a pleasing picture without understanding the full symbolism. But, I think it should be relevant to know it is not just a painting, it is a message, even though many of us will not be able to "read" the message.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 6   [ 103 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next