Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: A state of war between Crow Creek Dakotah Oyate and the US
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:57 pm 

"Reservations are prisoner of war camps and we are under military occupation."

Richard Grass - Lakota, Dakota and Nakota elder

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:58 pm 

"Our traditional Native laws supersede state, county and federal law. We have a lot of power."

Antoinette Red Woman - Tsisistas Northern Cheyenne

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:05 pm 

" After the devastation of tribal economies and the deliberate creation of tribal dependence on the services provided by this agency, this agency set out to destroy all things Indian...This agency forbade the speaking of Indian languages, prohibited the conduct of traditional religious activities, outlawed traditional government, and made Indian people ashamed of who they were. Worst of all, the Bureau of Indian Affairs committed these acts against the children entrusted to its boarding schools, brutalizing them emotionally, psychologically, physically, and spiritually. .. The trauma of shame, fear and anger has passed from one generation to the next, and manifests itself in the rampant alcoholism, drug abuse, and domestic violence that plague Indian country .Many of our people live lives of unrelenting tragedy as Indian families suffer the ruin of lives by alcoholism, suicides made of shame and despair, and violent death at the hands of one another. So many of the maladies suffered today in Indian country result from the failures of this agency. Poverty, ignorance, and disease have been the product of this agency's work...."

Kevin Gover, Assistant Secretary-Indian Affairs, Bureau of Indian Affairs

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:06 pm 

"Our treatment of Indians . . . still affects the national consciousness... It seems a basic requirement to study the history of Indian people. Only through this study can we as a nation do what must be done if our treatment of the American Indian is not to be marked down for all time as a national disgrace."

John F. Kennedy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:45 pm 

They are a heartless nation, that is certain. They have made some of their people servants - yes, slaves! We have never believed in keeping slaves, but it seems that the white people do! It is our belief that they painted their servants black a long time ago, to tell them from the rest - and now the slaves have children born to them of the same color!

The greatest object of their lives seems to be to acquire possessions - to be rich. They desire to possess the whole world.

For thirty years they tried to entice us to sell our land to them. Finally, their soldiers took it by force, and we have been driven away from our beautiful country.

They are indeed an extraordinary people. They have divided the day into hours, like the moons of the year. In fact, they measure everything. Not one of them would let so much as a turnip go from his field unless he received full value for it. I understand that sometimes their great men make a feast and invite many, but when it is over, the guests are required to pay for what they have eaten before leaving the house ...

I am also told, but this I hardly believe, that their Great Chief compels every man to pay him for the land he lives upon and all personal goods - even those he needs for his own existence - every year. I am sure we could not live under such a law.

In war they have leaders and war-chiefs of different grades. The common warriors are driven forward like a herd of antelopes to face the foe. It is because of this manner of fighting - from compulsion and not from personal bravery - that we count no coup on them. A lone warrior can do much harm to a large army of them - especially when they are in unfamiliar territory.

Charles Alexander Eastman's uncle - Isanti Dakotah

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:59 pm 

"Peace and happiness are available in every moment. Peace is every step. We shall walk hand in hand. There are no political solutions to spiritual problems.

Remember: If the Creator put it there, it is in the right place. The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears."

Tell your people, that since we were promised we should never be moved, we have been moved five times.

An Indian Chief, 1876

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:14 pm 

when i read your last post GW, i feel angry for what happened to my cherokee brothers and sisters...and then i get sad when i think of all the life lost. Then i get angry again when i think of all those people being forced from their homes....

:x

I must walk the red path, it is the only one...

Last edited by Howard1964 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:33 pm 

The truth is powerful Howard... and none can argue that the words posted here are the Truth.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:58 pm 

The question remains what will the People of the united states do about the Truth?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:10 pm 

TREATY WITH THE SIOUX
September 23, 1805
Ratified April 16, 1808.
Never proclaimed by the President.

Conference Between the United States of America and the Sioux Nation of Indians.*

Whereas, a conference held between the United States of America and the Sioux Nation of Indians, Lieut. Z. M. Pike, of the Army of the United States, and the chiefs and warriors of the said tribe, have agreed to the following articles, which when ratified and approved of by the proper authority, shall be binding on both parties:

ARTICLE 1. That the Sioux Nation grants unto the United States for the purpose of the establishment of military posts, nine miles square at the mouth of the river St. Croix, also from below the confluence of the Mississippi and St. Peters, up the Mississippi, to include the falls of St. Anthony, extending nine miles on each side of the river. That the Sioux Nation grants to the United States, the full sovereignty and power over said districts forever, without any let or hindrance whatsoever.

ARTICLE 2. That in consideration of the above grants the United States (shall, prior to taking possession thereof, pay to the Sioux two thousand dollars, or deliver the value thereof in such goods and merchandise as they shall choose).

ARTICLE 3. The United States promise on their part to permit the Sioux to pass, repass, hunt or make other uses of the said districts, as they have formerly done, without any other exception, but those specified in article first.

In testimony hereof, we, the undersigned, have hereunto set our hands and seals, at the mouth of the river St. Peters, on the 23rd day of September, one thousand eight hundred and five.

Z. M. Pike, [SEAL]
First Lieutenant and Agent at the above conference.
Le Petit Carbeau, his x mark. [SEAL.]
Way Aga Enogee, his x mark.[SEAL.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*This treaty does not appear among those printed in the United States Statutes at Large. It was, however, submitted by the President to the Senate, March 29, 1808. The Senate committee reported favorably, on the 13th of April, with the following amendment to fill the blank in article 2, viz: "After the word States' in the second article insert the following words: shall, prior to taking possession thereof, pay to the Sioux two thousand dollars, or deliver the value thereof in such goods and merchandise as they shall choose.'" In this form the Senate, on the 16th of April, 1808, advised and consented to its ratification by a unanimous vote.

An examination of the records of the State Department fails to indicate any subsequent action by the President in proclaiming the ratification of this treaty; but more than twenty-five years subsequent to its approval by the Senate the correspondence of the War Department speaks of the cessions of land described therein as an accomplished fact.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:11 am 

sad thing is most people are so self absorbed, they dont either care or they are unaware.

Case in point...

when black fridays come around people crowd in front of stores for holiday deals, and when the doors open they trample each other for items they think will make them happy.

Do they even know that there are children in this country, native children who are freezing, going without food and health care?

Makes me want to wretch...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:18 am 

rooftopper wrote:
In my experience, many do not know this, H1964. I have been speaking of the extinction of the Lakota to many who I feel have a compassionate nature and, of these people, quite a few of them express suprize at never having heard of the 'troubles' on reservations/p.o.w. camps. Some of these even have indigenous blood in thier bodies! Self absorption can only explain so much of this ignorance. Censorship of this information, by design or coincidence or market forces or whatever is a reality. On this website, it has often been said that to heal, one must educate. Spreading the word of the gross injustices perpetrated upon indigenous Peoples of Lakotah Nation and the world is, I think, an important way to realize our mutual intent that The People May Live. Too often this knowledge is dismissed as historical and is relagated to the past. I can not count the times I have said; "No! this is still happening now!" Good luck.
rt

all one needs do is spend a few minutes walking about on Pine Ridge to see the truth of what you wrote. the Oglala Sioux are among the kindest and most compassionate people I have ever had the pleasure to know, but they suffer more than I have ever seen in any nation I been to.

I agree : "No! this is still happening now!"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:30 am 

The love of possession is a disease with the people of the united states... no matter what "IT" is he/she has to have to have it because someone else has it.

The sorry state that the entire planet is currently in can be directly related back to the disease of capitalism. I believe they truly do not understand that this entire idea of capitalism is based not on freedom but on enslavement. Enslavement to the idea of money. Capitalism is the last and greatest disease that wasichu has spread across the world because it corrupts the very hearts and spirits of men and women. Hardens their hearts to the suffering of fellow human beings. Takes away their compassion for the poor and weak. Breeds contempt for those who have less as somehow in their minds it makes them better human beings because they have a bigger house or drive a better car. It infects everyone... look at the black people what is their greatest desire to be just like wasichu and have stuff.

What happened to caring for you fellow human being? What happened to generosity and the spirit of human cooperation? I will not teach my children to be this way... they are being raised as Dakotahs... they will understand the values of courage, generosity, fortitutude, wisdom and most of all respect. Respect for themselves, respect for others, respect for Maka Ina, respect for Elders and respect for their traditional Dakotah customs and traditions, for these values are the way of true human beings.

If my birth as a Dakotah leads to my death at the hands of wasichu then so be it I will be in good company, in the company of my Ancestors who fought this very same battle for the People and for the Land... AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:26 pm 

I think thats my grandma's blood coming out... she was from the Land of the Friendly People.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:10 pm 

"All we ask is to be allowed to live, and live in peace... We bowed to the will of the Great Father and went south. There we found a Cheyenne cannot live. So we came home. Better it was, we thought, to die fighting than to perish of sickness... You may kill me here; but you cannot make me go back. We will not go. The only way to get us there is to come here with clubs and knock us on the head, and drag us out and take us down there dead."

Dull Knife - Cheyenne

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:22 pm 

"Whole Indian Nations have melted away like snowballs in the sun before the white man's advance. They leave scarcely a name of our people except those wrongly recorded by their destroyers. Where are the Delewares? They have been reduced to a mere shadow of their former greatness. We had hoped that the white men would not be willing to travel beyond the mountains. Now that hope is gone. They have passed the mountains, and have settled upon Tsalagi (Cherokee) land. They wish to have that usurpation sanctioned by treaty. When that is gained, the same encroaching spirit will lead them upon other land of the Tsalagi (Cherokees). New cessions will be asked. Finally the whole country, which the Tsalagi (Cherokees) and their fathers have so long occupied, will be demanded, and the remnant of the Ani Yvwiya, The Real People, once so great and formidable, will be compelled to seek refuge in some distant wilderness. There they will be permitted to stay only a short while, until they again behold the advancing banners of the same greedy host. Not being able to point out any further retreat for the miserable Tsalagi (Cherokees), the extinction of the whole race will be proclaimed. Should we not therefore run all risks, and incur all consequences, rather than to submit to further loss of our country? Such treaties may be alright for men who are too old to hunt or fight. As for me, I have my young warriors about me. We will hold our land."

Dragging Canoe - Chickamauga Tsalagi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:04 pm 

ghostwarrior wrote:
"Whole Indian Nations have melted away like snowballs in the sun before the white man's advance. They leave scarcely a name of our people except those wrongly recorded by their destroyers. Where are the Delewares? They have been reduced to a mere shadow of their former greatness. We had hoped that the white men would not be willing to travel beyond the mountains. Now that hope is gone. They have passed the mountains, and have settled upon Tsalagi (Cherokee) land. They wish to have that usurpation sanctioned by treaty. When that is gained, the same encroaching spirit will lead them upon other land of the Tsalagi (Cherokees). New cessions will be asked. Finally the whole country, which the Tsalagi (Cherokees) and their fathers have so long occupied, will be demanded, and the remnant of the Ani Yvwiya, The Real People, once so great and formidable, will be compelled to seek refuge in some distant wilderness. There they will be permitted to stay only a short while, until they again behold the advancing banners of the same greedy host. Not being able to point out any further retreat for the miserable Tsalagi (Cherokees), the extinction of the whole race will be proclaimed. Should we not therefore run all risks, and incur all consequences, rather than to submit to further loss of our country? Such treaties may be alright for men who are too old to hunt or fight. As for me, I have my young warriors about me. We will hold our land."

Dragging Canoe - Chickamauga Tsalagi

this stirs my heart to see this...thank you GW:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:11 pm 

It is a good thing to know the history of your People Howard. Many are the First Nations People who have fought the united states and been genocided for defending their very way of life, their women and children, and the land.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:09 pm 

TREATY WITH THE TETON
July 19, 1815
Ratified, December 26, 1815.
7 Stat., 125.

A treaty peace and friendship made and concluded at Portage des Sioux, between William Clark, Ninian Edwards, and Auguste Chouteau, Commissioners Plenipotentiary of the United States of America, on the part and behalf of the said States, of the one part; and the undersigned Chiefs and Warriors of the Teeton Tribe of Indians, on the part and behalf of their said Tribe, of the other part.

The parties being desirous of re-establishing peace and friendship between the United States and the said tribe, and of being placed in all things, and in every respect, on the same footing upon which they stood before the late war between the United States and (Great Britain, have agreed to the following articles:

ARTICLE l. Every injury, or act of hostility, committed by one or either of the contracting parties against the other, shall be mutually forgiven and forgot.

ART. 2. There shall be perpetual peace and friendship between all the citizens of the United States of America and all the individuals composing the said Teeton tribe; and the friendly relations that existed between them before the war, shall be, and the same are hereby, renewed.

ART. 3. The undersigned chiefs and warriors, for themselves and their said tribe, do hereby acknowledge themselves and their aforesaid tribe to be under the protection of the United States of America, and of no other nation, power, or sovereign, whatsoever.

In witness whereof, the said William Clark, Ninian Edwards, and Auguste Chouteau, commissioners as aforesaid, and the chiefs and warriors of the said tribe, have hereunto subscribed their names, and affixed their seals this nineteenth day of July, one thousand eight hundred and fifteen, and of the independence of the United States the fortieth.

William Clark, [L. S.]
Ninian Edwards, [L. S.]
Auguste Chouteau, [L. S.]

Eskatapia, the Player, his x mark, [L. S.]
Tantanga, the True Buffaloe; his x mark, [L. S.]
Weechachamanza, the Man of Iron, his x mark, [L. S.]
Ikmouacoulai, the Shooting Tiger, his x mark, [L. S.]
Uakahincoukai, the Wind that Passes, his x mark, [L. S.]
Mazamanie, the Walker in Iron, his x mark, [L. S.]
Wanakagmamee, the Stamper, his x mark, [L. S.]
Washeejonjrtga, the Left-handed Frenchman, his x mark, [L. S.]
Monetowanari, the Bear's Soul, his x mark, [L. S.]

Done at Portage des Sioux, in the presence of

R. Wash, secretary to the commission,
John Miller, colonel Third Infantry,
H. Dodge, brigadier-general Missouri Militia,
T. Paul, C. T. of the C.
Manuel Lisa, agent,
Thomas Forsyth, Indian agent,
Maurice Blondeaux,
John A. Cameron,
Louis Decouagne,
Louis Dorion,
Cyrus Edwards,
John Hay.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:10 pm 

TREATY WITH THE SIOUX OF THE LAKES
July 19, 1815
Ratified December 26, 1815.
7 Stat., 126.

A treaty of friendship, made and concluded at portage des Sioux between, William, Clark, Ninian Edwards, and Auguste Chouteau, Commissioners Plenipotentiary of the United States of America, on the part and behalf of the said States, of the one art; and the of the Siouxs of the Lakes on the one undersigned Chiefs and Warriors of part and behalf of their Tribe, of the other part.

The parties being desirous of re-establishing peace and friendship between the United States and the said tribe, and of being placed in all things, and in every respect, on the same footing upon which they stood before the late war between the United States and Great Britain, have agreed to the following articles:

ARTICLE 1. Every injury, or act of hostility, committed by one or either of the contracting parties against the other, shall be mutually forgiven and forgot.

ART. 2. There shall be perpetual peace and friendship between all the citizens of the United States of America and all the individuals composing the said tribe of the Lakes, and all the friendly relations that existed between them before the war, shall be, and the same are hereby, renewed.

ART. 3. The undersigned chiefs and warriors, for themselves and their said tribe, do hereby acknowledge themselves and their aforesaid tribe to be under the protection of the United States, and of no other-nation, power, or sovereign, whatsoever.

In witness whereof, the said William Clark, Ninian Edwards, and Auguste Chouteau, commissioners aforesaid, and the chiefs and warriors of the aforesaid tribe, have hereunto subscribed their names and affixed their seals this nineteenth day of July, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifteen, and of the independence of the United States the fortieth.

William Clark, [L. S.]
Ninian Edwards, [L. S.]
Auguste Chouteau, [L. S.]
Tatangamania, the Walking Buffaloe, his x mark, [L. S.]
Haisanwee, the Horn, his x mark, [L. S.]
Aampahaa, the Speaker, his x mark, [L. S.]
Nareesagata, the Hard Stone, his x mark, [L. S.]
Haibohaa, the Branching Horn, his x mark, [L. S.]

Done at Portage des Sioux, in the presence of

R. Wash, secretary to the commission,
John Miller, colonel Third Infantry,
T. Paul, C. T. of the C.,