It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:14 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 26   [ 510 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: A state of war between Crow Creek Dakotah Oyate and the US
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:08 pm 

March 6, 1862

TO THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

The sad condition of the Indians of this State, who are my heathen wards, compels me to address you on their behalf. I ask only justice for a wronged and neglected race. I write the more cheerfully because I believe that the intentions of the Government have always been kind; but they have been thwarted by dishonest servants, ill-conceived plans, and defective instructions.

Before their treaty with the United States, the Indians of Minnesota were as favorably situated as an uncivilized race could well be. Their lakes, forests, and prairies furnished abundant game, and their hunts supplied them with valuable furs for the purchase of all articles of traffic. The great argument to secure the sale of their lands is the promise of their civilization. . . . The sale is made, and after the dishonesty which accompanies it there is usually enough money left, if honestly expended, to foster the Indians' desires for civilization. Remember, the parties to this contract are a great Christian Nation and a poor heathen people.

From the day of the treaty a rapid deterioration takes place. The Indian has sold the hunting-grounds necessary for his comfort as a wild man; His tribal relations are weakened; his chief's power and influence circumscribed; ad he will soon be left a helpless man without a government. a protector, or a friend, unless treaty is observed.

The Indian agents who are placed in trust of the honor and faith of the Government are generally selected without any reference to their fitness for the place. The Congressional delegation desires to award John Doe for party work, and John Doe desires the place because there is a tradition on the border that an Indian agent with fifteen hundred dollars a year can retire upon an ample fortune in four years.

The Indian agent appoints his subordinates from the same motive, either to reward his friends' service, or to fulfil the bidding of his Congressional patron. They are often men without any fitness, sometimes a disgrace to a Christian nation; whiskey-sellers, bar-room loungers, debauchers, selected to guide a heathen people. Then follow all the evils of bad example, of inefficiency, and of dishonesty, ---- the school a sham, the supplies wasted, the improvement fund or curtailed by fraudulent contracts. The Indian, bewildered, conscious of wrong, but helpless, has no refuge but to sink into a depth of brutishness. There have been noble instances of men who have tried to do their duty; but they have generally been powerless for lack of hearty cooperation of others, or because no man could withstand the corruption which has pervaded every department of Indian affairs.

The United States has virtually left the Indian without protection. . . . I can count up more than a dozen murders which have taken place in the Chippewa County within two years. . . . There is no law to protect the innocent or punish the guilty. The sale of whiskey, the open licentiousness, the neglect and want are fast dooming this people to death, and as sure as there is a God much of the guilt lies at the Nation's door.
The first question is, can these red men become civilized? I say, unhesitatingly, yes. The Indian is almost the only heathen man on earth who is not an idolater. In his wild state he is braver, more honest, and virtuous than most heathen races. He has warm home affections and strong love of kindred and country. The Government of England has, among Indians speaking the same language with our own, some marked instances of their capability of civilization. In Canada you will find there are hundreds of civilized and Christian Indians, while on this side of the line there is only degradation.

The first thing needed is honesty. There has been a marked deterioration in Indian affairs since the office has become one of mere political favoritism. Instructions are not worth the price of the ink with which they are written if they are to be carried out by corrupt agents. Every employee ought to be a man of purity, temperance, industry, and unquestioned integrity. Those selected to teach in any department must be men of peculiar fitnesss, --- patient, with quick perceptions, enlarged ideas, and men who love their work. They must be something better than so many drudges fed at the public crib.

The second step is to frame instructions so that the Indian shall be the ward of the Government. They cannot live without law. We have broken up, in part, their tribal relations, and they must have something in their place.

Whenever the Indian desires to abandon his wild life, the Government ought to aid him in building a house, in opening his farm, in providing utensils and implements of labor. His home should be conveyed to him by a patent, and be inalienable. It is a bitter cause of complaint that the Government has not fulfilled its pledges in this respect. It robs the Indian of manhood and leaves him subject to the tyranny of wild Indians, who destroy his crops, burn his fences, and appropriate the rewards of his labor.

The schools should be ample to receive all children who desire to attend. As it is, with six thousand dollars appropriated for the Lower Sioux for some seven years past, I doubt whether there is a child at the lower agency who can read who has not been taught by our missionary. Our Mission School has fifty children, and the entire cost of the mission, with three faithful teachers, every dollar of which passes through my own hands, is less than seven hundred dollars a year. I

In all future treaties it ought to be the object of the Government to pay the Indians in kind, supplying their wants at such times as they may require help. This valuable reform would only be a curse in the hands of a dishonest agent. If wisely and justly expended, the Indian would not be as he now is, ---often on the verge of starvation. . . .

It may be beyond my province to offer these suggestions; I have made them because my heart aches for this poor wronged people. The heads of the Department are too busy to visit the Indian country, and even if they did it would be to find the house swept and garnished for an official visitor. It seems to me that the surest plan to remedy these wrongs and to prevent them for the future, would be to appoint a commission of some three persons to examine the whole subject and to report to the Department a plan which should remedy the evils which have so long been a reproach to our nation. If such were appointed, it ought to be composed of men of inflexible integrity, of large heart, of clear head, of strong will, who fear God and love man. I should like to see it composed of men so high in character that they are above the reach of the political demagagues.

I have written to you freely with tll the frankness with which a Christian bishop has the right to write to the Chief Ruler of a great Christian Nation. My design his not been to complain of individuals, nor to make accusations. Bad as I believe some of the appointments to be, they are the fault of a political system. When I came to Minnesota I was startled at the degradation at my door. I give these men missions; God has blessed me, and I would count every trial I have had as a way of roses if I could save this people.

May God guide you and give you grace to order all things, so that the Government shall deal righteously with the Indian nations in its charge.

Your servant for Christ's sake,
H.B. WHIPPLE,
Bishop of Minnesota.

A holy man of the wasichu but a true human being. The only part he had was wrong where he thought we should become like them, not understanding at a deeper level that all we have ever asked is to live our Lifeways which have nothing to do with becoming like anyone else.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:43 am 

Pine Ridge is the Gaza of North America. The Sioux were and continue to be treated in the same manner the Palestinians are being treated. The so called civilized nations have learned the methods of colonization and genocide very well.

It is time for this cycle to end, and the best starting point is the return of Lakotah land to the people who desire to love the land and not exploit it.May Wakan Tanka /Allaah(swt) bring justice to the Republic of Lakotah

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:33 pm 

"We were so crowded and confined that an epidemic broke out among us and children were dying day and night, among them Two Stars' oldest child, a little girl. The news then came of the hanging at Mankato. Amid all this sickness and these great trials, it seemed doubtful at night whether a person would be alive in the morning."

Gabriel Renville

What it was like at Crow Creek. The Indians were almost naked. They wound burlap around their legs to keep warm. Many of the women had to wear burlap gotten from soldiers, and no one had any sleeves on their garments.

Wicankpi Waste Win - Good Star Woman

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:38 pm 

"I was to receive a great quantity of money every year; the money left the hands of my great father, but in passing from hand to hand, each one taking his part, nothing reached my hand more than a dollar. I was to receive a great quantity of goods in blankets. My great father did send me all these, but on the road each one took his morsel and I often got but a small piece of cotton. All this made my heart sad."

Tatanka Najin - Standing Buffalo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:43 pm 

There is one thing more which our Great Father can do. He can gather us all together on the prairie and surround us with soldiers and shoot us down.

Chief Wabasha

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:44 pm 

Over the earth I come; Over the earth I come; A soldier I come; Over the earth, I am a ghost.

Song

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:10 pm 

Dear Mr Milk:

Thank you for contacting me regarding your concerns with the Crow Creek Reservation. Please be assured I will keep you comments in mind when considering future legislation. As always, I greatly appreciate the views of constituents and I encourage you to stay engaged. Again, thank you for writing. Please do not hesitate to contact me regarding any other matter of importance to you and your community.
Sincerely,

JEFF BINGAMAN
United States Senator

Phone: (202) 224-5521
Toll-free in NM: 1-800-443-8658
Subscribe to my e-newsletter.
Look for me on Facebook and YouTube.

JB/ls

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:54 am 

Wabasha, you have deceived me. You told me that if we followed the advice of General Sibley, and gave ourselves up to the whites, all would be well - no innocent man would be injured. And yet today I am set apart for execution and must die in a few days. My wife is your daughter, my children are your grandchildren. I leave them all in your care and under your protection. My wife and children are dear to me. Let them not grieve for me. Let them remember that the brave should be prepared to meet death; and I will do so as becomes a Dakota. Your son-in-law,

Hda-inyanka - Rattling Runner

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:16 am 

Yes Ghostwarrior I know that you dont have to buy back what anyway belong to you ;It is so unjust what they are doing to your people I thought that Obama was going to help you in this matter ,But my Son told me that all this people are interestet in is money they dont care about human life and Obama is one of them The Bilderberg gang and wallstr bankers .But I know that one day they will work themself into a corner and then they wont beable to get themselfs out of it again no matter how much money they have the Creator has got a plan that nobody know about and no one will see it come .Mark my word when our MAKER step in to help us then no one can do anything because it will be supernatural force that will move . I wish you strenght in everything you do and many blessings for your family . Mitakuye Oyasin rainbow

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:58 am 

I thank you for your offer rainbow and your understanding and your prayers are much appreciated. I pray for all the People of earth rainbow for they are all human beings... even the greedy and corrupt ones.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:41 pm 

"It was our belief that the love of possessions is a weakness to be overcome. Its appeal is to the material part, and if allowed its way, it will in time disturb one's spiritual balance. Therefore, children must early learn the beauty of generosity. They are taught to give what they prize most, that they may taste the happiness of giving."

Ohiyesa - Isanti Dakotah

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:42 pm 

"As a child I understood how to give, I have forgotten this grace since I have become civilized."

Luther Standing Bear - Oglala

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:01 pm 

Take the money back! If you don't give us the money, I will be glad, for we will have our land back. The snow is on the ground, and we have waited a long time for our money. We are poor and have nothing to eat; you have plenty. Your fires are warm, your teepees keep out the cold. We have sold our hunting grounds and the graves of our fathers. We have no place to bury our dead, and yet you will not pay us our money for our lands.

Mazasha (Red Iron) - Dakotah

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:06 pm 

White folks do not eat animals that die themselves; but the animals that died here were piled up and were fed out to us. They built a box and put the beef in it and steamed it and made soup. They put salt and pepper in it, and that is the reason these hills about here are filled with children's graves...it seemed as though they wanted to kill us.

Wasu Oicimaniya (Traveling Hail) - Dakotah

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:10 pm 

Taoyateduta... a true Dakotah and leader of the People.
Attachment:
little_crow_wanted_poster.jpg
little_crow_wanted_poster.jpg [ 58.95 KiB | Viewed 6111 times ]

We have waited a long time. The money is ours, but we cannot get it. We have no food, but here are these stores, filled with food. We ask that you, the agent, make some arrangement so we can get food from the stores, or else we may take our own way to keep ourselves from starving. When men are hungry they help themselves.
Taoyateduta is not a coward! And he is not a fool! Braves, you are like children; you know not what you are doing. You are like dogs in the Hot Moon when they run mad and snap at their own shadows. We are only little herds of buffaloes left scattered; the great herds that once covered the prairies are no more. See! The white men are like the locusts when they fly so thick that the whole sky is a snowstorm. Count your fingers all day long and white men with guns in their hands will come faster than you can count. Yes, they fight among themselves, away off...but if you strike at them they will all turn on you and devour you and your women and little children just as the locusts in their time fall on the trees and devour all the leaves in one day. You are fools. You cannot see the face of your chief; your eyes are full of smoke. You cannot hear his voice; your ears are full of rearing waters. Braves, you are little children - you are fools. You will die like the rabbits when the hungry wolves hunt them in the Hard Moon. Taoyateduta is not a coward....He will die with you.

Taoyateduta - Dakotah

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:13 pm 

A Good Day to Die

Pin your sash…
Sing your death song…
And prepare to meet Wakan Tanka.
The little ones are depending on you.

Show no fear… for everyday is a good day to die.

Pin your sash…
Scream your defiance…
And take your enemies with you.
The women are counting on you.

Show no weakness… for everyday is a good day to die.

Fight fearlessly…
Die well…
And I’ll see you on the other side.
The old ones expect it of you.

Mother it is a good day to die.

AJ Milk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:32 pm 

Lest we forget those who came before... I have not and I will not. This is the memorial stone that stands at the damn dam it is to remind of us all the Dakotahs who died at Crow Creek in 1863, and continue to die at Crow Creek to this day. Where are your great words for this Mr. Obama???

Attachments:
Kotah and Shey at the Memorial.jpg
Kotah and Shey at the Memorial.jpg [ 61.35 KiB | Viewed 6107 times ]
Memorial Stone at Fort Thompson.jpg
Memorial Stone at Fort Thompson.jpg [ 136.82 KiB | Viewed 6107 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:55 pm 

I have just read through part of this thread...

my heart is sad because of whats happened in the past and i fear for what is happening today.

I must walk the red path, it is the only one...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:23 pm 

There is no fear in my heart brother. We will fight them to the end... that is our Dakotah Way. The people of the united states have taken and taken and taken... they will take no more.

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/project ... akota.html

On December 26, 1862, 38 Dakotah men were hanged at Mankato, Minnesota... and all for what because their children were starving and cold and because land was being stolen. Tell me what has changed from then to now??? The power company turns out the lights so our children are left in the cold and dark in the middle of winter. The children still go hungry and it hurts my heart to hear the cries of children crying for food upon land that provided for our Ancestors for thousands of years.

The IRS wants 3.2 million dollars from some of the poorest People on the planet... I say come and get it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:34 pm 

I have often wondered long and hard when I see the flag of the united states flying on reservations or at pow wows why this is so. Everything that flag represents is in direct opposition to what we are as Dakotahs and human beings. That scrap flag flew at Mankato, Minnesota on December 26, 1862 and over Slim Buttes in September of 1876, over Cedar Creek in Oct of 1876, over Willow Creek in November of 1876, over Wolf Mountain in January of 1877, over Tongue River in May of 1878 and finally over Wounded Knee in December of 1890. So why continue to fly it?

I think such men as Crazy Horse and Rain-in-the-Face who fought to keep that very same flag out of our lands, shake their heads when they see People bowing and scraping before that rag flag. It is the flag of our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 26   [ 510 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next