It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:37 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: What it really means
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:29 am 

Until I became aware of this site Thanksgiving was just a day to be with family, eat a lot and easily buy into the lies we were taught. But after coming to this site and learning much I can no longer participate in this "holiday." Now, at this time of year I come to this site to reread articles and listen to Russell again about this subject:

http://www.republicoflakotah.com/2012/thanks-taking-2/

Cooking the History Books: The Thanksgiving Massacre

Is All That Turkey and Stuffing a Celebration of Genocide?
By Laura Elliff, Vice President, Native American Student Association

Thanksgiving is a holiday where families gather to share stories, football games are watched on television and a big feast is served. It is also the time of the month when people talk about Native Americans. But does one ever wonder why we celebrate this national holiday? Why does everyone give thanks?

History is never simple. The standard history of Thanksgiving tells us that the “Pilgrims and Indians” feasted for three days, right? Most Americans believe that there was some magnificent bountiful harvest. In the Thanksgiving story, are the “Indians” even acknowledged by a tribe? No, because everyone assumes “Indians” are the same. So, who were these Indians in 1621?

In 1620, Pilgrims arrived on the Mayflower naming the land Plymouth Rock. One fact that is always hidden is that the village was already named Patuxet and the Wampanoag Indians lived there for thousands of years. To many Americans, Plymouth Rock is a symbol. Sad but true many people assume, “It is the rock on which our nation began.” In 1621, Pilgrims did have a feast but it was not repeated years thereafter. So, it wasn’t the beginning of a Thanksgiving tradition nor did Pilgrims call it a Thanksgiving feast. Pilgrims perceived Indians in relation to the Devil and the only reason why they were invited to that feast was for the purpose of negotiating a treaty that would secure the lands for the Pilgrims. The reason why we have so many myths about Thanksgiving is that it is an invented tradition. It is based more on fiction than fact.

So, what truth ought to be taught? In 1637, the official Thanksgiving holiday we know today came into existence. (Some people argue it formally came into existence during the Civil War, in 1863, when President Lincoln proclaimed it, which also was the same year he had 38 Sioux hung on Christmas Eve.) William Newell, a Penobscot Indian and former chair of the anthropology department of the University of Connecticut, claims that the first Thanksgiving was not “a festive gathering of Indians and Pilgrims, but rather a celebration of the massacre of 700 Pequot men, women and children.” In 1637, the Pequot tribe of Connecticut gathered for the annual Green Corn Dance ceremony. Mercenaries of the English and Dutch attacked and surrounded the village; burning down everything and shooting whomever try to escape. The next day, Newell notes, the Governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony declared: “A day of Thanksgiving, thanking God that they had eliminated over 700 men, women and children.” It was signed into law that, “This day forth shall be a day of celebration and thanksgiving for subduing the Pequots.” Most Americans believe Thanksgiving was this wonderful dinner and harvest celebration. The truth is the “Thanksgiving dinner” was invented both to instill a false pride in Americans and to cover up the massacre.

Was Thanksgiving really a massacre of 700 “Indians”? The present Thanksgiving may be a mixture of the 1621 three-day feast and the “Thanksgiving” proclaimed after the 1637 Pequot massacre. So next time you see the annual “Pilgrim and Indian display” in a shopping window or history about other massacres of Native Americans, think of the hurt and disrespect Native Americans feel. Thanksgiving is observed as a day of sorrow rather than a celebration. This year at Thanksgiving dinner, ponder why you are giving thanks.

William Bradford, in his famous History of the Plymouth Plantation, celebrated the Pequot massacre:

“Those that scraped the fire were slaine with the sword; some hewed to peeces, others rune throw with their rapiers, so as they were quickly dispatchte, and very few escapted. It was conceived they thus destroyed about 400 at this time. It was a fearful sight to see them thus frying in the fyer, and the streams of blood quenching the same, and horrible was the stincke and sente there of, but the victory seemed a sweete sacrifice, and they gave the prayers thereof to God, who had wrought so wonderfully for them, thus to inclose their enemise in their hands, and give them so speedy a victory over so proud and insulting an enimie.”

The Pequot massacre came after the colonists, angry at the murder of an English trader suspected by the Pequots of kidnapping children, sought revenge. rather than fighting the dangerous Pequot warriors, John Mason and John Underhill led a group of colonists and Native allies to the Indian fort in Mystic, and killed the old men, women, and children who were there. Those who escaped were later hunted down. The Pequot tribe numbered 8,000 when the Pilgrims arrived, but disease had brought their numbers down to 1,500 by 1637. The Pequot “War” killed all but a handful of remaining members of the tribe.

Proud of their accomplishments, Underhill wrote a book (above) depicted the burning of the village, and even made an illustration (below) showing how they surrounded the village to kill all within it.

- John K. Wilson
http://www.republicoflakotah.com/2009/c ... -massacre/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What it really means
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:33 am 

http://www.republicoflakotah.com/2010/thanks-giving/

Excerpt:

In my heart my thanksgiving is everyday. From the morning star to the moon and the stars…It is our duty to thank the great mystery for all that is. See we do not try to define the indefinable…the mysterious one, the great mystery. And the world that the great mystery provides for everyone is destiny…When you begin the day with a thank you prayer and you live the day in thanksgiving…that is when you begin to understand that there is no such thing as possessions. Everything, everything belongs to everyone. With that philosophy as “primitive” as it may sound is how we live in this land…I come from a people who are very romantic…Whomever is non Indian and has their view point of us I invite them to come live with us..Not among those who have been schooled in your schools, I am talking about those who are still free, still following the ways of their ancestors. They are very few and far between but you can still find them in the western hemisphere…and find out like I have about their language, because language will tell you the hearts of the men. Those types of languages that are not as expressive as mine they have a limited world view. Thanksgiving! We did give you land, we did give you food, we did teach you how to use the food, plant the food, nourish the food, harvest the food, and how to cook the food. You see it is also a fact, a scientific fact, that the American Indian people has provided the world with 75% of the world’s food stuffs. 75%. I’ll give you some examples; you know we did not create corn it was given to us, but we did develop 6000 species of corn as we developed 10000 species of potatoes. And tomatoes, all kinds of tomatoes…Now the evil “possession”. Why is that so important to posses rather than to give?…I have noticed in all my travels that there is no celebration for taking…I am yet to find a celebration for taking–possessing…Why is it that is the main force in the world we live in except for a couple of days one in November and one in December? Why? I am not familiar with the art of possession, possessing! You know that is why there is war…there is war because of their need to possess. Is it because of greed? Is it because of selfishness? Is it because of fear? Or is it because of all of the above? Why celebrate thanksgiving, and giving, period, just one day out of the year? Why not every day? Why not every hour? Why not every night? …

Russell Means
www.russellmeansfreedom.com/2010/thanks-taking/

The (Rotten) Roots of “The Tree”…

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:40 pm 

TRURO —

This week’s Truro Tercentennial column features and excerpt from “Cape Cod Summer” (1936), a travel guide by Eleanor Early.

From the Hill of Churches we will go, if you wish, to Corn Hill, although I should tell you that there is not one thing to see when you get there. I’ll tell you the story, and then you can do what you please. If you decide to go, take Castle Road on the left, about a mile from the burying ground.

The place is called Corn Hill because it was there the Pilgrims found the corn they obtained for their first planting. ... As a matter of fact, they didn’t find that first corn — they stole it. If you are a Mayflower descendant, you must forgive me — but here is the story:

When Miles Standish and his little band were reconnoitering around Truro, they found some corn to which they helped themselves generously. When it was gone, they returned for more, and on the second trip they dug up two graves. Slightly under the ground they found a mat, and under it was a bow. Beneath the bow was another mat, and under that were bowls, trays and dishes. Beneath the third mat there were two bundles. They unwrapped the first, and found that it contained a quantity of red embalming powder and the skull and bones of a man. In the second bundle was the skeleton of a little child, with a number of small bracelets of fine white beads and a little bow and arrow. They took away with them “sundry of the prettiest things,” and “covered up the corpses.”

Not far away were two houses. These they entered, and “some of the best things we took away with us.” (They took a bottle of oil, a bag of beans, a kettle, some corn, and a few trinkets.) ... “But the houses we left standing.”

http://www.wickedlocal.com/truro/news/l ... z2lxoPFSgZ

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:42 pm 

Hau, Lostspirit,

I thought of Russell much today, my thought very similar to yours. He still remains.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:05 pm 

Hau Mollydee,

It is good to hear your voice again. Last night I watched this video again: Where White Men Fear To Tread (In Memory Of Russell Means) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pghlRN6BQd8 marveling not only the truth and elegance of his words but also his total commitment to his people. One day I believe he will be recognized by all as one the greatest civil rights leaders in this countries' history. At the end of this video he reads, his voice quivering with emotion, George Catlin’s Creed:

I love a people that have always made me welcome to the very best that they had.

I love a people who are honest without laws, who have no jails and no poorhouses.

I love a people who keep the commandments without ever having read or heard them preached from the pulpit.

I love a people who never swear or take the name of God in vain.

I love a people “who love their neighbors as they love themselves”

I love a people who worship God without a Bible, for I believe that God loves them also.

I love a people whose religion is all the same, and who are free from religious animosities.

I love a people who have never raised a hand against me, or stolen my property, when there was no law to punish either.

I love and don’t fear mankind where God has made and left them, for they are his children.

I love a people who have never fought a battle with the white man, except on their own ground.

I love a people who live and keep what is their own without lock and keys.

I love a people who do the best they can. And oh how I love a people who don’t live for the love of money.

In Russell's speech For The World to Live, Europe Must Die he says: There are people who are white on the outside, but not white inside. I'm not sure what term should be applied to them other than "human beings."

Molly, I'm still trying but don't now if I'll ever get there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:13 am 

Hau, Lostspirit,

Thank you for your kind words. It is good to hear your voice as well, and thank you for sharing these truths with me. Some of this I have never heard. The truth can be a very defiant thing escaping some for an entire lifetime of some, yet so easily apparent to others.

I am no expert here, to be sure. To me, it seemed Russell possessed a great mind and was a marvelous thinker born ahead of his time. Other times, he seemed exactly in the right place at the right time to be the great leader he was. I still remember his story about his van breaking down. He probably could have had whatever luxury vehicle he wanted, but he did not seem to be swayed by such things.

The thoughts expressed here make me aware of the hard truth and history of a great People, showing me again and again I as well am lacking in my spiritual journey.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:01 pm 

Hau Mollydee,

I know your time is limited but if you ever want to read Russell's speech that I quoted from here is the link:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... rview-1980

But there is another who has important words for us all. Honestly I do not know how he does it:
http://bsnorrell.blogspot.com/2013/11/l ... .html#more

I've been reading a legal blog lately and yesterday it was, of course, "Happy Thanksgiving." WOW, the things they were thankful for blew my mind. Started off with the Redskins versus the Bears football game. They didn't even notice nor know that their words and wishes were racist. The comments were so far out there I couldn't help myself. Wished them a happy genocide day. It was barely a bump in their utterly devoid of truth version of this land. Glad I got out of that white inside and out place and read Leonard' words. To just try and follow his and Russell's words words and advice seems so much more important now.

Hope you are well in "frackland" Molly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:41 pm 

Hau, Lostspirit,

...It was barely a bump in their utterly devoid of truth version of this land.

That is the best description of the current pitiful situation I have heard in a very long time.

The truthsayers will one day be silenced or muffled no more. I read recently that another white buffalo calf had been born. Can you recall a time when so many have been born in the space of a few years?

I will read and listen more to some of these links which contain many words of wisdom. One can only hope to gain an inkling of understanding, but I believe is a good thing to plant and plan for the future of one's grandchildren and their children's children and like Leonard says, change the things you can.

As for the fracking, it is only a matter of time, but it seems there is no place safe left.

I understand now there are seabirds no more in some areas on the West Coast...May you be and stay well also, my friend.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:07 pm 

Hau Mollydee,

Perhaps I was more than a little bit wrong when I said "It was barely a bump in their utterly devoid of truth version of this land." I was not the only one to speak out. One person had a really good post on thankgiving. But it too was barely a bump. Most those those that responded to it started arguing over just what was stolen and when and why and where. It was from there that I got the link on Corn Hill. But again almost everyone went back to the things they were doing or going to do or the most outrageous things they were thankful for. Few if any questioned the fact that the pilgrims stole, dug up and robbed graves and later murdered, raped and pillaged and enslaved those that had taken pity on them and gave them a helping hand. Few if any questioned the "values" that this country was built upon. As far as I read people seemed "happy." It was so strange I had to check out and go elsewhere and seek something on a more spiritual level. Someone once said on this site that "arguing was the wasicu way." I understand that better now.

Molly, you said:
mollydee wrote:
As for the fracking, it is only a matter of time, but it seems there is no place safe left.
It appears that you are right. I am in frackland as are the Lakota and the entire world. I watched GASLAND 2 and learned more on how the entire world is now frackland. How our own government and really all other governments and civilizations are under attack by the oil and gas corporations.

Read an interview the other day with Senator Bernie Sanders and he said within that interview: "Big business is willing to destroy the planet for short term profits. I regard that as as incomprehensible. Incomprehensible. Global warming is a far more serious problem than Al Qaeda."

mollydee wrote:
I read recently that another white buffalo calf had been born. Can you recall a time when so many have been born in the space of a few years?
It is all species that are doing this Molly as was prophesied by First Peoples long ago. You too be well Molly and keep planting those seeds. Our generation, for the most part, blew it. Perhaps the children and grandchildren will do better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:52 pm 

Watching the wasicu fight, stab, tazer, pepper spray, shoot and run over each other for christmas "sales" I have to wonder just where the Christ part comes in? What part of his teachings condone this type of behavior?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:03 am 

thats the AMERICAN way my friends

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]