Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Peru and the Amazon Territory
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:42 pm 

A tribe exposes itself:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46202743

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Peru and the Amazon Territory
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:53 pm 

It is clear they don't want to be bothered.I've heard of free(they call it uncivilized) people dying right after they are exposed to civilization.They can't handle the change.Their better off living that way, then the way we live.They are free and we are not.Jennifer

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:02 pm 

Jennifer, it is clear to me that they are being forced out of their home, the forest. If the invaders would leave them alone they wouldn't need machetes and such.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:11 am 

Yeah why don't they leave people alone.The people that are forcing them out probably want their land.The raw Amazons are getting smaller and smaller.A Peruvian lady that has cut my hair said her family owns land in the Amazons and it is all they could do to hang on to it.She said it is beautiful land and rich people want to come in their and buy it all up for their resorts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:24 am 

Jennifer,

Before they want the land itself, they want what is on the land and under the land. First logging then gas and oil and mineral. Second they will want a place to dispose of toxic waste. If there is anything left it will be turned into agribusiness. Sound familiar?

And where does that leave this tribe?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:25 pm 

Nowhere but to become civilized or dead.Jennifer

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:20 pm 

http://www.survivalinternational.org/news/9023

Amazon Indians from Peru and Brazil have joined together to stop a Canadian oil company destroying their land and threatening the lives of uncontacted tribes.

Hundreds of Matsés Indians gathered on the border of Peru and Brazil last Saturday and called on their governments to stop the exploration, warning that the work will devastate their forest home.

The oil giant Pacific Rubiales is headquartered in Canada and has already started oil exploration in ‘Block 135’ in Peru, which lies directly over an area proposed as an uncontacted tribes reserve.

In a rare interview with Survival, a Matsés woman said, ‘Oil will destroy the place where our rivers are born. What will happen to the fish? What will the animals drink?’
Matsés

Matsés woman Antonina Duni Goya Nesho talks about her son’s future

The Matsés number around 2,200 and live along the Peru-Brazil border. Together with the closely-related Matis tribe, they were known as the ‘Jaguar people’ for their facial decorations and tattoos, which resembled the jaguar’s whiskers and teeth.

The Matsés were first contacted in the 1960s, and have since suffered from diseases introduced by outsiders. Uncontacted tribes are also at extreme risk from contact with outsiders through the introduction of diseases to which they have little or no immunity.

Despite promising to protect the rights of its indigenous citizens, the Peruvian government has allowed the $36 million project to go ahead. Contractors will cut hundreds of miles of seismic testing lines through the forest home of the uncontacted tribes, and drill exploratory wells.

The government has also granted a license for oil explorations to go ahead in ‘Block 137’, just north of ‘Block 135’, which lies directly on Matsés land. Despite massive pressure from the company, the tribe is firmly resisting the oil company’s activities in their forest.

The effects of oil work are also likely to be felt across the border in Brazil’s Javari Valley, home to several other uncontacted tribes, as seismic testing and the construction of wells threaten to pollute the headwaters of several rivers on which the tribes depend.

Survival’s Director Stephen Corry said, ‘The Canadian state was founded on the theft of tribal land. When Europeans invaded Canada, they introduced alien diseases, seized control of natural resources, and brought about the extinction of entire peoples. It’s a great irony that a Canadian company today is poised to commit the same crimes against tribes in Peru. Why doesn’t the Peruvian government uphold its own commitments to tribal rights? History tells us that when uncontacted peoples’ land is invaded, death, disease and destruction follow.’

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:54 pm 

ImageRepsol to drill for oil in Amazon rainforest in Peru

"According to the EIA – prepared by Repsol together with a consultancy called Gema – the seismic tests will require detonating explosives underground, 42 camps, 75 "heliports", over 1,300 workers, 3,800 "drop-zones", and 2,343 miles (3,770kms) of 1.5 metre-wide paths cut out of the forest."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/a ... NETTXT3487

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:55 pm 

Pyramid in Peru torn down by developers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ju ... el-paraiso

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:25 am 

I want to know what people on this forum think of this: If someone came to these Indians in the Amazon and learnt their language then told them about Jesus in their language. However, leaving them culturally as they are with their own way of life - if they choose to live in the Amazon as they do. Would you object to this? I also think that the missionaries should leave after telling them about Jesus and not stay.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:58 pm 

ablg234 wrote:
If someone came to these Indians in the Amazon and learnt their language then told them about Jesus in their language. However, leaving them culturally as they are with their own way of life - if they choose to live in the Amazon as they do. Would you object to this? I also think that the missionaries should leave after telling them about Jesus and not stay.

ablg234,

How could missionaries teach them about jesus AND leave them culturally as they are? If they are inflicted with jesus's teachings they have been changed. And what are the missionaries teaching? Writings that were made not by jesus but others after his death. Christianity, for me, was fine when it taught things like healing the sick, turning the other cheek and feeding the poor but lost me with the "Only through me can you see Heaven" lines.

Throw a dart at a map of the world. Any place it hits you can probably find a tale of Christian endorsed genocide and cruelty. When the cross is blood soaked from one end of the globe to the other, its time to admit something has catastrophically, systematically gone wrong. It is time to admit a problem, when the man Christianity is supposed to be about says “love your neighbors and enemies”, but Christian history is full, a couple million times over, with events like this:

“They built a long gibbet, low enough for the toes to touch the ground and prevent strangling, and hanged thirteen Indians at a time in honor of Christ Our Savior and the twelve apostles…Then straw was wrapped around their torn bodies and they were burned alive.”

http://notesfromthemadabstractdark.word ... -cultures/

If you read this blog post click on the word "post" in the first sentence to see just why this entry was made. It seems to me that the entire Indian world would be better if we all listened to these words and realize that religion, while not specifically mentioned, is included:

We are the Indians that we are, we are peoples, we are Indians.
We want to continue to be the Indians that we are; we want to continue to be
the peoples that we are; we want to continue speaking the language we speak;
We want to continue thinking the words that we think;
we want to continue dreaming the dreams that we dream;
we want to continue loving those we love;
we want to be now what we already are;
we want our place now; we want our history now, we want the truth now.

Juan Chávez Alonso. Words presented at the National Congress,
March, 2001. Mexico.

One more thing ablg234, the computer I'm on is about dead. When I hooked up a different computer the NSA minders will not allow me to reconnect to the forum. So, if you reply to this and I do not reply, that is the reason.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]