It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:13 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Idle no more
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:23 pm 

Dear Chief Theresa Spence
Your courage is exceptional. Thank you for fasting for so long for the people. I am the Vice Chair of the American Indian Movement Grand Governing Council. I talked to Clyde Bellecourt yesterday. He says that he is fully aware that your fast and the "Idle No More" Movement is going world wide.
This coming February it will be forty years since the American Indian Movement took over in Wounded Knee, South Dakota. Again back then, it was the women who demanded that something be done.
Today is a good day to live. It is the shortest day of the year for sunlight. It is also the beginning of the New Era according to the Mayan Calender. Today you will see the beginnings of the New Era, when our people will stand up across Canada. The Spirit has awoken and is alive in our people.
When the people Sundance, they fast for four days and nights, they dance. You have fasted over ten days. Your goal was to see Steven Harper treat our people better and to have them respect the Treaties. I think that today you will see that the Creator has answered your prayers. You will see how much you have succeeded. You will see that our people are responding right across the country.
I invite you to come to Wounded Knee South Dakota for the American Indian Movement memorial in February.
I ask you to consider breaking your fast. You have accomplished more than your goal. Steven Harper is not in charge in Canada, the indigenous people are. Today we will prove who lives on whose good graces. The immigrants who came to our lands in poverty and now take all our natural resource wealth without any payment whatsoever to the indigenous people are being given notice that this will not continue.
The National Day of Action in 2007 was a warning to Harper that he seems to have ignored. Today, that warning is going to get a lot louder, loud enough to be heard worldwide and it will be heard by the Americans.
You have succeeded Theresa. The women are telling the men, it is time.

http://www.bsnorrell.blogspot.com/2012/ ... tests.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Idle no more
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:24 pm 

NOW! Idle No More Blockades and Protests in Canada

NOW!
(Mi’kmaq IdleNoMore blockade of Highway 11 by Rexton, NB, via @itsClairbear)
By Tim Fontaine
Please click link below for APTN as photos are temporarily blocked
APTN National News
HALIFAX – The Idle No More movement made its presence known today in Atlantic Canada with protests and events held across the region.
At 7 a.m., people from the Millbrook First Nation near Truro blocked one lane of Highway 102, at times backing up traffic for miles.
http://aptn.ca/pages/news/2012/12/21/id ... tic-canada

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:25 pm 

Shiprock: Navajos Flash Mob Round Dance 'Idle No More'
IDLE NO MORE: Flash Mob Round Dance - Shiprock, NM
'Idle No More' flash mob dance in Edmonton, Canada
by Denette Chee-Chief and Shiela Chee-Chief
Friday, December 21, 2012
6:00 pm
Nizhoni Park (at da river bridge)
Navajo Nation 110 percent supports IDLE NO MORE. Come on down to Shiprock to show your support for our Canadian brothers and sisters! Nizhoni Park is located next to San Juan River by the bridge. EVERYONE INVITED. Bundle up and bring your signs!
BRING DRUMS...BRING COFFEE...BRING HOT COCOA...WILL HAVE BONFIRE...ALL PEACEFUL!!
Navajos in Shiprock, N.M, on the Navajo Nation are supporting Idle No More!

Idle no more: Resistance began with First Nation women
Thousands expected in Ottawa for Idle No More protest on Friday, Dec. 21, 2012
http://www.bsnorrell.blogspot.com/2012/ ... ttawa-prot

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:26 pm 

Thousands expected at Ottawa protest. Idle No More song:

http://www.bsnorrell.blogspot.com/2012/ ... html#links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:50 am 

Idle No More Navajo Nation Flash Mob Shiprock, NM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz02Up6nH9o

Support for Idle No More from Palestine!

http://bsnorrell.blogspot.com/2012/12/s ... html#links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:56 pm 

The Indigenous Rights Revolution: Idle No More

"If we must die, we die defending our rights." Sitting Bull

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40_82gI3 ... WIDwoGKhYQ

“ Each of us is put here in this time and this place to personally decide the future of humankind. Did you think the Creator would create unnecessary people in a time of such terrible danger? Know that you yourself are essential to this World. ”

Chief Arvol Looking Horse.......................Lakota

The movement grows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYrcGHR3 ... WIDwoGKhYQ

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:22 pm 

PDF file of letter sent to Chief Spence from the International Indian Treaty Council Dec. 18, 2012:

http://www.treatycouncil.org/PDF/IITC%2 ... 2FINAL.pdf

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:43 am 

Aamjiwnaang First Nation blockade rail in support of Idle No More

"Citizens of Aamjiwnaang First Nation continue a blockade of CN rail, in support of the Idle No More movement. Aamjiwnaang Citizens are indicating they will continue the blockade until Chief Teresa Spence is granted a meeting with Prime Minister Harper, and there is recognition of the historical injustice inflicted upon the community. Following a community meeting this morning, and a meeting with the Mayor of Sarnia, Chief of Police and CN Rail representative, citizens of Aamjiwnaang have determined to maintain the blockade until community demands are met. Aamjiwnaang citizens are calling on all allies to come support the blockade. Bring WARM clothes and good intentions. Accepting food, wood and warm clothes donations

"Aamjiwnaang Citizens agreed to the following demands
1. Letters of support from the Mayor of Sarnia, CN Rail, MP Pat Davidson, and industry telling Harper to meet with Chief Spence.
2. We will consider leaving when this meeting has taken place.
3. That Harper respect and consult on a nation-to-nation basis."

Media Contact:
Ron Plain(226) 932-1516
Support the Aamjiwnaang #IdleNoMore Blockade!
------------
Also see: Montreal Gazette: Rail protest continues for third day
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Fir ... story.html

Picture and article:

http://bsnorrell.blogspot.com/2012/12/a ... html#links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:53 am 

Clyde Bellecourt arrested at Idle No More in Minn.

"Bellecourt stated repeatedly that he was not involved with the organizing and he did not know who had organized the event; he was only at IDS to shop. Despite this, he was told to leave or he would be arrested. No one else was asked to leave at this point.

"After the Round Dance ended, Bellecourt returned to buy a cup of coffee alone when he was approached by police officers who seized his cane, forced him to the floor, and then tried to lift him solely by his handcuffs. Bellecourt is 75 and cannot easily get up and down without assistance, which was denied to him. Bellecourt was unable to stand up and leave IDS on his own so officers arrested Bellecourt and transported him on a stretcher. Bellecourt is now being held at Hennepin County Jail."

http://bsnorrell.blogspot.com/2012/12/c ... le-no.html

Merry fucking christmas from the "land of the free."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:58 am 

Idle No More Flash Mob Round Dance Revolution Spreads!

Missolula, Montana!

http://bsnorrell.blogspot.com/2012/12/i ... dance.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:58 am 

'Giving a Shit,' an Idle No More Poem by Janet Rogers
Janet Marie Rogers
December 24, 2012

The objective of civilizing us
Is to make Indian history
Become our permanent reality
The necessary objective
Of Native people is to
Outlast this attack,
However long it takes

To keep our identity alive*

We’ll give them leather and feathers
Whatever gets the attention
We’ll give them drums and songs
We’ll give them stories
To see how long they’ll wait
for us to turn angry

We work with an unseen power
Less a weapon More a legacy
An answer to NO MORE What now
Simultaneous exhaustion
And exhilaration
Determination thick as
Mineral rich soil negotiations

Not a mob
We are a peaceful people
For now we are the timber
Standing in the way
Getting ready for the grave
How close to death
Do they want us to come
Close enough to smell
What it smells like
We have the answers
And we’re showing you
Can’t see it you have to
Feel it

Have you nothing to say

The women in their jingles
The fellas in their jackets
The elders in their blankets
And the children
Waving signs
“No More, No More, No More, No More”

Flags flowing like
Winter snow
Landing on strong shoulders
Withstanding Blizzards
I see my people
Many shades of the same
So proud
We are the responsible
Incorrigible
Bravery in our veins
Fed by hunger
Writing love letters
Growing in momentum

We are revisiting wampum
We are witnessing commitment
That wasn’t legislated by war
Or defense budgets
This is the People’s love
For the mother
The movement has just begun

Bring it in
Send it out
Walk it around
Sing it loud
We keep beating
To keep the reality
Of the hate from playing
In our brains
We can take it
For we have good minds
And an army of ancestors
Walking with us

How can they counter that

Blissful ignorance
Sounds like holiday songs
on a Saturday morning
The same day she enters
Day 12 starving
For her people
Starving for attention
When the answers are
Within and right in front
Of us
Protect, react, resist,
Mobilize those to know
Motives working against
Natural law

So what can I do?

I’m going to fuck with your money
I’m going to
Talk to your children
Tell them the truth
And influence their reality
Is it true you
can love a country but not
its government
Is this possible?
When the law says
A country is formed by
A council and registered
Like a baby’s birth certificate
Within the courts the same
place that makes the laws,
so what came first?

Is the U.N. knocking at your door?
Or the ghosts of those
who circled your abode?
Are you finished dreaming of bacon
Are you begging for protection?
Shaking under your blanket hiding
From your own ancestors saying
“don’t shame us”

crossing the line – getting close
closing the gap – moving in
finding the light – standing in it
making the sounds – painting in colour
getting it right – taking names
planning for the future – re-claim

releasing the medicine – pounding the drums
staying connected_ stepping forward
rooted in humanity – giving a shit
reproducing history – recognizing equals
slam dancing - gathering
letting the answers find us

saying your piece – providing
helping the cause – craving
stealing home – forcing the point
attending to details – walking together
shooting craps – taking it with you

patience…

--J.M. Rogers 2012

*The first stanza of this poem is a recent quote by John Trudell

Janet Marie Rogers, Mohawk writer from the Six Nations territory in southern Ontario, is Poet Laureate of Victoria, British Columbia. To learn more about her, visit janetmarierogers.com.

Visit soundcloud.com/janet-marie-rogers/giving-a-shit to hear this poem read by the author.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.c ... ers-146543

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:14 am 

Chief Theresa Spence Resolute in Hunger Strike, as Her Body Weakens

“Each day that she does not eat, she is slowly dying. And this is what is happening to First Nations in this country,” Pamela Palmater said. “The purposeful, chronic underfunding of essential human services like housing, water, sanitation and education has resulted in our pre-mature deaths by up to 20 years, youth suicides, over-representation in child and family services, prisons and hundreds of murdered and missing women. Chief Spence's pain represents the pain of our peoples. She is a true warrior spirit who is humble, determined and prepared to die for our peoples. We are all inspired by her strength and stand beside her in solidarity.”

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.c ... ens-146538

Firmly Backing Idle No More, Atleo Says Indigenous Peoples' Moment Has Come

“We will not stand down as this country seeks to attempt to develop $650 billion in natural resources,” Atleo told reporters in a conference call on Friday morning. “Our people are saying that we will stand up for the waters, for the air, for the medicines, for the animals, for the land and the plants; that despite legislative efforts that we have an inherited responsibility and in the case treaty, treaty is paramount over parliament, over laws that Canada might pass.”

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.c ... ome-146518

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:17 am 

Idle No More Sweeps Canada and Beyond as Aboriginals Say Enough Is Enough

"The second wave of Idle No More protests swept across Canada on Friday December 21, with support events held across the U.S. and as far away as Europe and New Zealand, less than two weeks after the movement burst onto the political scene on December 10."

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.c ... ugh-146516

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:42 pm 

Words & Music by Aaron Donald Peters (c) 2012 Aaron Donald Peters
If Crazy Horse could see us now
Do you think that he'd approve of all the changes made to this land, and of me and you?
When he sees the way we've lived our lives, could you look him in the face?
Would he rise up against the enemy? Or would he embrace this peace?
If he could see you and me?

If Crazy Horse could see us now
Do you think that he'd be proud? Of the way they speak of all of us?
The way we let them push us around? Do you think he'd attempt to help us all
Up from off our knees? Would he chase away the alcohol and the apathy disease
That's afflicting you and me?

You're invisible in this world.
No one can see you, you just don't matter
But what if Crazy Horse could see us?

If Crazy Horse could see me now
What do you think he'd say about the way that I conduct myself
Living here day to day? Do you think that he would understand
The changes that I've made? The battle that I fight alone, the price I always pay to be
What they tell me to be?

No one can see you, you just don't matter
But what if Crazy Horse could see us?

Would he forgive us? Would he forget us?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuEXtNw_ ... 2w&index=2

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:52 pm 

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has passed legislation to let China's China National Offshore Oil Corporation buy to Nexen. This takeover deal among other things puts three to six billion barrels of tar sands oil in CNOOC's hands, would create devastating global climate effects if CNOOC exploits Nexen's reserves to their fullest extent.

Canada has also legally exited the Kyoto Protocol just today, as well as already removed the protection of over 2 million lakes and rivers -- allowing tar sands development anywhere.

And the Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement (FIPA) international treaty passed and can come into effect at any given moment without notice. CNOOC will be able to sue Canadian governments in tribunals if our governments do anything to counter its growing interests, including common sense environmental protections and job creation efforts. Keep in mind that more than 130 First Nations have signed the Save The Fraser Declaration banning Enbridge Pipeline in their territories.

And the most damaging piece of legislation is the omnibus Bill C-45, the Federal Government vacates jurisdiction over waters, parks, fisheries, etc -- and no longer has the responsibility and duty to consult First Nations concerning land development as legally required in our Treaties. It also gives power to decide fate of individual First Nations -- even in Treaty Territory.

These new bills (there are several more to come) legally strip us of our legally binding treaty rights, which the Canadian government has no legal jurisdiction to alter or change. Bill C-45 is an unconstitutional bill which illegally alters long standing treaties between our two sovereign nations, effectively ending them along with our sovereign nation status. Not only does this drastically affect First Nation's people, it also directly affects all North Americans and future generations -- causing irreparable damage to the environment and its inhabitants.

The Idle No More movement which protests these undemocratic changes has spread via social media, and has garnered around 80% sheer hatred toward us for 'complaining about treaties and free money' when we should be 'working and paying taxes like everyone else'.

Even though we've tried to reason with some of these individuals by explaining the above information to them, most don't change their views out of spite. So alerting the Canadian public to hopefully garner support to sway the bill is out of the question for us.

Bill C-45 receives Royal Assent on Monday, which could signal the last time I can email you anything regarding this (as it can be construed as illegal under the new FIPA treaty which can go in effect at any moment without notice, and my band could be sued and be forced to pay crippling fees for months).

I and my sovereign Nation are urgently asking for your help. We need your help to alert and inform the international community and bring in sanctions against the Harper government for these numerous illegal and unconstitutional attacks on our environment and sovereign nation... it's our only hope to protect this great land and future generations.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" -- Edmund Burke

Sincerely,

Dallas Courchene

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:54 pm 

Chief Arvol Looking Horse support for Chief Spence and Protection of Mother Earth:

As Keeper of our Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe, I would like to send out support for the efforts of Chief Theresa Spence of the Attawapiskat First Nation, for giving of herself through fasting with prayers for the protection of Mother Earth.

Throughout history, there have been many Voices from different Nations trying to alert us of the prophecies that are now upon us. We are in a time of Great Urgency, especially since the animals have been showing their sacred color white to tell us we need to change the Path we are on.
The war in the Middle East over money, oil and power, in the name of Spirituality, has been affecting us for far too long. A Healing now needs to happen from that lesson. Those lessons now exist in those territories in the lack of animal and plant life, as well as the many orphans and childless parents.

Political decision makers throughout history have made decisions that have affected many People, lands and animal/plant life, the recent decision made to subject Mother Earth and take away any protection she had left, is a decision that affects all humanity.

This effort has to be understood the same light of our Peace work, which is “All Nations, All Faiths, One Prayer”. This effort to protect Mother Earth is all Humanity’s responsibility, not just Aboriginal People. Every human being has had Ancestors in their lineage that understood their umbilical cord to the Earth, understanding the need to always protect and thank her. Therefore, all Humanity has to re-connect to their own Indigenous Roots of their lineage - to heal their connection and responsibility with Mother Earth and become a united voice.

In a Sacred Hoop Life, where there is no ending and no beginning!

Chief Arvol Looking Horse
19th Generation Keeper of the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe

http://bsnorrell.blogspot.com/2012/12/c ... t-for.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:34 pm 

As of Jan. 4th, Chief Spence has agreed to join Harper meeting on Jan. 11th. She will continue with her hunger strike.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2 ... riday.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:30 pm 

hau windrider,

I read the article you posted and was amazed by this comment at the end of the article and that it had 2604 "likes":

"The time for treaties passed 200 years ago. Let's move ahead as a nation of various and unified cultures, and forget past failures and mistakes.

"Away with the Indian Act and away with the department of Indian Affairs, and away with the concept of "reservations"."

Personally I agree with one sign on this video that says "Harper sucks moose balls."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuEXtNw_ ... 2w&index=2

Last edited by Lostspirit on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:25 pm 

Anonymous -- A Message to Canadians

http://bsnorrell.blogspot.com/2013/01/a ... html#links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:08 pm 

Environmental Activists Are Being Killed in Record Numbers

Read more: http://www.utne.com/environment/environ ... z2HVjlLBv5

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]