It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:19 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Modern Mapping for the RoL
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:23 pm 

"...should they want that help."

Those are my own words, and I should live up to them. I'd like to extend what little I can offer to the Nation, and the most direct action I can take comes in the form of maps.

Maps take many forms: drawn maps, printed, online web-maps, political, commercial and public. "Redrawing" maps can have political implications, can make or break companies. Most cities and companies employ GIS mappers such as myself, spending thousands of dollars to make sure they are geographically-oriented and making the most of the information available to them.

I'd like to volunteer this type of support to the RoL, its leaders & organizers, citizens or simply forum users. Some of what I can offer:

- Mapping of census data (population, income, age, race, etc.), by county or by census tracts
- Oil & Gas industrial activity maps, and possibly mining activity maps (this is what I do for a living)
- Depending on interest, setting up some kind of online web-map for public use, showing any and all these kinds of data that can be updated
- PDF maps, JPGs (images)
- Maps of available health data and trends in various areas

I know there are issues regarding industrial activity and native lands - the ability to track industrial activity on a map can be quite helpful in terms of organizing or taking legal action if necessary. In fact, maps are often required to take legal action, to be submitted as evidence in conjunction with the data sources.

If anyone has ideas as to how maps could assist the RoL, or if you have questions, please comment here and we can discuss. Anything you'd like to see, just submit it here and I'll get to work on it.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]