It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:04 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Hello From Iowa
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:13 pm 

Hello, my name is Lilac and I reside in Iowa along the Mississippi River. My ancestors came from across the ocean and as many of you personally know did terrible things to the people who were here and to the land, and sadly, continue to do so. I hope and pray that some of you know that we who have European blood running through our veins are not all hurtful or destructive towards people and all living things of this land. I strive to nourish my soul with truth. After many years meticulously searching historical and spiritual areas I feel deeply that truth resides within the teachings and ways of indigenous people.

For a long time I have respected Mr. Means; for his courage, words, and actions along with his extensive knowledge of things past and present. He is truly a treasure to this earth and I root for him in his journey back to good health.

I am beginning my journey and am honored to have the opportunity to perhaps learn from those who know so much more than I.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hello From Iowa
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:14 am 

Hey,How are you? Someone told me on this blog.We can not pick our parents. Which also means to me that we can not pick our ancestors and what they might or might have not done.It is not our fault what someone has done in the past.We can only strive to make this world better today. Jennifer

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:14 pm 

I really appreciate your kind reply, Jennifer. But the more I search the more ashamed I am; not so much any more for my ancestors' actions but rather for the comfortable lives I, along with my white brothers and sisters in the present have at the expense of those we stole from. I can sit on the computer all day perusing various sites regarding the American Indian or any other culture that suffers due to manifest destiny bullcrap. But once off the computer I am just as guilty as all the rest for "taking the best of the meat." Yes, my intentions I believe are sincere but does that help anyone? And does feeling sorry for myself because of guilt impress anyone?Hell no, maybe its better those of us with European blood stay off this site and let the Lakotah be, for nothing we have ever done has benefited you. But I will continue to visit this site; watching Aaron Huey share his experiences on PR has given me just a smidgeon of the reality for the Lakotah today. I needed to see this. My eyes, I hope, are being opened to this grim reality. But on the other hand, its wonderful to see that the American Indian is alive and proud and will never let anyone destroy the beauty and dignity and traditions that each and every soul possesses.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:50 pm 

Welcome to the forums,Lilac.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:51 pm 

Hi! Lilac.I am guilty of taking the best of the meat,too.I am Indian and white and my grandmother didn't tell us that my family are Indians,either out of being scared or embarrassed one.I don't know which one.I grew up thinking I was white but I have never felt comfortable in the white world and I have always felt out of place,but now I know why.My aunt and I found out about our Indian family through our genealogy.Last night I talked to my Aunt and she remembered something that she had forgotten about.She said she asked her father(my grandfather) before he died was there anything that you haven't told us about yourself or about mother that we need to know about.He said that you mother was an Indian.She thought he was teasing but now we know he wasn't teasing.Last night was the first I had heard of this.My grandfather died about 15 years ago.Maybe my grandmother didn't tell us because she wanted us to have a better life than her.It hurts me to know about my Indian family and what happened to them and their way of life disappearing.It hurts me to know about the Pine Ridge people and their life continuing going downhill.We can help by sending donations.They truly need our help.It bothers me the most about their health since I am a herbalist.I don't want anyone to be sick and Indians have a lot of problems with their health- a lot of little things that amounts to in the end being a big problem or problems.It is a constant battle trying to be healthy if you are Indian.Bad health may not show up when you are young but it sure does when you get older.I hope no one here thinks I am feeling sorry for them.I just care about people and I understand. Jennifer

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:41 am 

Hau lilac be greeted and welcome to the forums.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]