It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:07 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 78 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Why, why , why........
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:11 pm 

I visit several forums and message boards not all indiginous or first nations based. The forum from the quote below is not.

@TheAmazingHalfBreed Well, I just asumed that the North American lifestyle was all about connecting with nature, their songs and dances resonating with the earth, sky and fire. Sounds that I hear in this video simply sound artificial. I do not need to be born native indian, to feel like native indian and to feel the nature. Bunch of guys ''breakdancing'' on a ''panflute'' and ''synthesizer'' simply doesnt feel natural ... sorry...

I can't remember if it was a Savage Family video or someone else on youtube that was being critizized what I do remember is I ask two questions of the author in their initial post. Who is someone from Europe to judge who is and is not a "TRUE" native indian. Second.......What in the hell is a NATIVE INDIAN???? Is it someone native to INDIA? niative indian makes about as much sense as a fat toothless redneck disonguishing a TOMMY HAWK INDIAN and a RED DOT INDIAN when trying to describe the new cashier down at bubba's big boy mart. It makes my head hurt, I am going to go bang it on a oak tree now to dull the pain.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Why, why , why........
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:58 pm 

Ignorance is bliss, so goes the saying. Some wish to believe in much, if not all, of the ignorance that has been published over the past 500 years.

Mike, Mike, why do you wish to hurt a tree? :lol: You cant get a crystal out of it. I hit my head on an oak branch one time, while running. It was about 8 inches in diameter, and forehead level. Damn, if it didnt jump out of nowhere and hit me hard. Knocked my ass out for about 5 minutes. :oops: The only up side to this is noone saw it happen.

How far are you from Quincy, Indiana?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:06 pm 

looking at google earth to see....................... Google says
X------------------------------------------------------------------------------X
About that far as a crow flies......... Following the roads it says 167 miles.

LOL why you going to come for the Thunder 5 Ranch Store Grand opening on the 14th :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:09 pm 

I will b e in Petersburg In around the first week of feb. doing a tile job for a friend of mine. I believe it is about 30 miles from Quincy. I figured if You were relatively close I might have time to stop and buy you a cup of coffee or something.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:51 pm 

Four years ago if you were in Petersburg you would have been 5 miles from my place......... Now I am 220 miles South of there :cry: If you ever get down around Marion or MT. Vernon I am about 30 miles from either and in between them. Evansville is not to far from here probably 65 miles or so........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:54 pm 

BTW Enjoy your visit to the peoples republic of IL. LOL If you ever do get down here, no need to buy me a cup of coffee I always have a pot ready.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:01 am 

I dont drink the stuff, I am more of an iced tea drinker, even in cold weather.

I moved my best friend up there in august. He is building his new house. Somebody gave him a price of 6$ sqft, labor only, to do tile. He is going to pay me $20 an hour to do his tile, hardwood flooring and trim work. Then I get to move him in the house. Finally, i get to make some real money instead of gas money.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:19 am 

always a pitcher of tea and a case of cold RC cola in refer ;)

LOL How are you at making hard wood flooring from rough cut oak? Been working on the flooring for the store for six months now with the table saw, planer, mallet and chisel and finally the sander. I am up to about 20 square feet worth LOL and thinking I should have just used peel and stick linolium or 16" tiles and grout.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:12 am 

Stormsrider, i have been experimenting pretty heavy with low cost building since i got hoodooed pretty bad back in 82 by a bank president and no lawyers that would help, i tried this in my dome earthlodge and it is strong and it can be washed, put down 6mil plastic sheeting, tamp down 2" of earth/clay, mix 1 part earth with no rocks in it, 1 part sand, 1 part portland cement and a handfull of fiber that is used in concrete and pour it 1/2" thick on the earth/clay that has rough texture by running a hard rake across it and is damped with water before you pour the mix on it, i tried it and tested it by busting limbs i used to heat and cook with, if you are going to have heavy weight on it pour a little thicker, but i about bet a horse could walk on it just 1/2 ", you can buy a bag of fiber at a concrete supply for around $5 and it will be enough to do 5000 sq. ft, i am thinking, this floor would not work for a garage but it is a lot easier to walk on than a 4" slab

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:26 pm 

For the store floor I have to do it in white oak mainly because it is my most abundant natural resource to build with and a lot of them are dead or just old wolf tree's with 1 or 2 living branches. Makes room for the younger healthier tree's to grow in as well. My Red Oaks are all dying off as well at that 60-70 year old range where about 95% just die so wood is my best source of building material and my sawmill keeps it cheap.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:30 pm 

Pahanna, What's the biggest earthlodge have you done? Looks like it would be warm with a wood burning stove in the middle of it.I saw pictures of it awhile back.I like it. Stormsrider, it does take a long time to cut and saw and sand the wood,but the floor is gorgeous in the end.It's hard work, but worth it.Oak has such a beautiful grain after you polyurethane the floor. My husband and I have done it before.We used our wood like that,too.Jennifer

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:04 pm 

StormsRider wrote:
always a pitcher of tea and a case of cold RC cola in refer ;)

LOL How are you at making hard wood flooring from rough cut oak? Been working on the flooring for the store for six months now with the table saw, planer, mallet and chisel and finally the sander. I am up to about 20 square feet worth LOL and thinking I should have just used peel and stick linolium or 16" tiles and grout.

I have yet to make flooring from scratch. I have hopes of buying a few acres in the mountains in the next year. I plan to make everything by hand, including the cabin. The ideas I have for the cabin are from the Foxfire books. I think it is in the first book, where it detail how to make cedar, and hickory shakes for the roofing. That may b e the easist and quickest way to make your flooring. to adapt it to flooring, all you would have to do is plane it and square your cuts with a miter saw, then sand it smooth. I have never cared for vinyl flooring. You could have bought 12" tiles from home depot for $.89-$.99 per foot. A 20lb bag of thinset does 100 sqft with a 1/4x1/4 notch trowel. The underlayment is 20sq ft and runs about $12 per sheet. Just use fiber tape on the joints to keep the jpoint grom telegraphing through the tiles.

There are few things more satisfying than making something from scratch. Have tools, will travel.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:51 pm 

Flip,Yeah, the log cabin building is in Foxfire 1 .That's what my husband was going to use to build me a log cabin until he fell 30 feet from a ladder cutting an oak tree limb with his chain saw trying to get us electricity.The limb hit the ladder and he fell in our creek sitting on his butt and fell over and broke and crushed his wrist.Broke his ribs.Broke his back and tail bone.It took a year before he could do anything again.He's ok now but hurts a lot with his back.He says he feels like a 90 year old man,though.He had already cut a mile of trees along our dirt road when he fell. We lived a year without electricity.We got our water from a spring that was coming out beneath a tree on our property.We stuck a pvc pipe in the hole from the tree. We lived 4 years in the Smokey Mtns. in a camper. Jennifer

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:06 am 

Jennifer, kinda sounds like my "accident". I fell approxmately 22 feet from a pine tree. Branch took the ladder out. I landed hands first, then face. I broke both wrists and have had 3 reconstructive surgeries adn was out of work for 2 years. My fingers still dont always work. Smokies is where I am heading. Somewhere in the Asheville area. It alwasy feels like home when I am there. I will be up that way in a couple of weeks. Am moving a client back to florida. Im leaving a few days early so I can sneek a fly fishing trip in before the work starts. Once I returen from the mtns, then I will be going to indiana to do my flooring job. The flooring job will be the start of my nest egg to buy my property.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:55 am 

Jennifer, i have built 2 so far, both are 14' diameter, bigger ones can be built, it has to be a dome shape in order to keep the cost down, i keep running into issues though and i am not sure if it is dumbasses, agents, or newage dip shits, the one i lived 4 years in heated up nice and was cozy, at this time if i go there i will be arrested for trespassing by what i call a uppity yankee egghead, a egghead is someone educated beyond their common sense as told by one of my mentors who was under attack from agents and newage dip shits

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:16 pm 

Flip, I remember many years ago, when home builders could get nice floor planks from old barns being torn down, for a song. Does this happen anymore?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:06 pm 

windrider wrote:
Flip, I remember many years ago, when home builders could get nice floor planks from old barns being torn down, for a song. Does this happen anymore?

Yes, Windrider, a person can get great materials from old barns, if one can be found. The problem now is so many people have learned the value of the wood and it is becoming exxpensive. The reason the wood is so good is the fact it was taken from old growth wood. I met a man in Indiana who inherited and old out building when he moved back to the family farm. He tore the building down and burned it down. He may be and engineer but he is not bery bright. Here in the east many barns were made from chestnut trees. But in the late 1800's some bone head had the bright idea to introduce the chinese variety, which brought the blight that keeps our native trees from growing bigger than a sapling before dying off. Several colleges have been crossing, and then back crossing the chestnut trees so our native chestnuts would only have the blight resistance. Oddly enough, our american chestnut trees are still living. The root systems are still intact and thriving, but every sapling dies off before it reaches 2-3 years old, but the roots are alive and well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:47 pm 

Let me shed some light on this. I have documented Cherokee ancestors on my dad's side of the family through my grandmother, but it goes so far back that it makes me 1/32nd and not enough to qualify for tribal enrollment. My dad could have enrolled in Cherokee NC but never did. He just wanted out of the mountains of E. Tenn.
On my dad's side, I have one rumored great grandmother who was supposed to be at least half, but she never enrolled, as when she was born, it was only 50 years after the Trail of Tears.
However, it does not prevent me from honoring my ancestors.
I hear some full bloods on line leaving recordings calling people who want to "be an Indian" wannabees. They say things like "Kevin Costner, why did you do this to us?" However, I am sure that in history, one can find whites who lived with Indians. Remember the movie: "A man called horse?"
I know this is all Hollywood fiction, but I am sure whites assimilated.
Joseph M. Marshall III, the famous lakota writer of fiction and non-fiction lakota books says "we are not quite white, not quite Indian, due to assimilation" which kind of blows the full blood criticism to pieces.
If one follows the Constitution, lives free and is an Indian at heart, then I am sure it is acceptable. What do I say to my 1st cousin,
who is half-Cherokee due to marriage from my Uncle? He is still my cousin and he is still an Indian.
Let us not get like the Chinese who I have lived with in Hong Kong and China for the past decade and a half who only accept a person of Chinese blood and origin through the mother's line (I am sure this matriarchal stuff started somewhere over the ice bridge to Alaska from Tibet).
Gary

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:31 pm 

Flip, SR, and Pahanna: To all of you who are Builders, Carpenters, Construction Workers, and Craftsmen: a shout out to you, whether you are pounding nails, trying to find the right wood, gently teasing wood to specific measurements that will fit, or climbing ladders to trim trees. To those who have been injured, I honor you. It's about time that we recognize our men for their accomplishments.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:33 pm 

In Defence of the Native Man

http://www.lastrealindians.com/2012/01/ ... ative-man/

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 78 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next