It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 16 of 26   [ 509 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: A state of war between Crow Creek Dakotah Oyate and the US
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:03 am 

IN LATE FEBRUARY 1858, Little Crow and many Dakota chiefs and headmen were brought to Washington by the new Dakota agent, Joseph R. Brown. They had hoped to have the Indian Department rectify the unfulfilled promises of past treaties. They were shocked when the Indian Commissioner, Charles E. Mix, wanted them to make another treaty by which they would cede half of their present reservation. Little Crow, in particular, was angered and disillusioned, because he had been to Washington in 1854 to help secure a presidential promise that the Sioux would own their reserve forever. With Antoine J. Campbell interpreting, Crow fired back:

"That is the way you all do. You use very good language, but we never receive half what is promised or which we ought to get. I came here about the reserve in 1854; I recollect you [pointing to the recorder] very distinctly; and you were then writing at the table as you are now, surrounded by papers. You then promised us that we should have this same land forever; and yet, notwithstanding this, you now want to take half of it away. We ought, when we meet to do business, talk like men and not like children. . . .

When we came here, I thought we would do business. . .but it appears you are getting papers all around me, so that, after a while, I will have nothing left. I am going to see that [treaty] paper which you gave the agent, and if, after examining it, I shall find anything good in it, I will come and see you again; and when I do, you will hear me talk like a man, and not like a child!"

A few days later Little Crow and the delegation returned to the Indian Office. The chief was extremely upset to learn that the Sioux did not have permanent ownership of their land after all. President Franklin Pierce had failed to issue an executive decree to that effect. Little Crow complained bitterly: "You gave us a paper. . .and we had it explained, and from that it would seem that the Sioux Indians own nothing! When I saw that paper it made me ashamed. We had, we supposed, made a complete treaty, and we were promised a great many things, horses, cattle, flour, plows, and farming utensils, but it now appears that wind blows it off."

But Little Crow's remonstrations were in vain. All that was left for him to do was to try and obtain the best deal possible. Unfortunately, the Dakotas took the government officials at their word, that the Sioux would receive $1.25 per acre for the new land cession--the Senate later reduced this to thirty cents, and traders' claims took almost the entire sum!

Source: Lower Sioux Indians in the Indian Office, May 28, June 4, 1858, in Documents Relating to the Negotiations of Ratified and Unratified Treaties. . .1801-1869, OIA, microfilm T494, roll 6, National Archives Record Group 75.

Attachments:
littlecrowwantedposter.jpg
littlecrowwantedposter.jpg [ 58.95 KiB | Viewed 9223 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:15 am 

It would appear the blacks are also liars and thieves. Did not the attempted land theft at Crow Creek Dakotah Oyate and extortion of 2 MILLION DOLLARS from the poorest People in america happen under the obama administration? i am not a young tribal chairman to be taken advantage of by seasoned bia bureaucrats and driven around like a golf cart... i am a dakod wicasa of 44 winters and i understand that assimilation has a new face and a new vocabulary.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:41 pm 

My friend, One thing Little Crow did that no other First Nation Peoples could do. Little Crow and his Dakotah, in their small war, killed more whites than any other First Nation ever did. It is a true shame such a great man was murdered while picking berries. They could not kill or capture him in battle, they had to murder him in cold blood, in a berry patch instead of the battlefield

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:55 pm 

Flip i think it is almost impossible to convey how deeply these men believed in the spoken word and for them to break their word was an unthinkable act... to late they realized that some People and Nations are unworthy of such trust... because it involves honor and integrity... something the united states has never had nor ever will... despite all the pretty words written on paper to the contrary. Had a big discussion on the us constitution in one of my classes and i always raise the hard points... like i am not a citizen of the united states and of course have to justify my position... which i did by these many treaties that were signed Nation to Nation between Dakotah, Lakotah and Nakotah Nations and the united states... that right there makes me a citizen of my own Crow Creek Dakotah Oyate. its funny when you debate People and then all of sudden the lights come on and they recognize that my position has legal and moral validity. what nations have yet to sign the United Nations Declaration of Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP)? i know for a fact two of those nations are the united states of america and canada.

http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/unpfii/en/drip.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:23 pm 

Yes, they profess to know truth, until someone "educated" in the real facts speaks up. Then they want to tell you that you are wrong. What they really accomplish is this. They speak out of their ass because their mouth knows better. I think I have proven I know enough about history, yet so many tell me I am wrong. I call them what they are, Ce!!!! Then they just look at me real funny as I am laughing at them

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:07 pm 

Thompson sentenced for bribery, theft
By David Montgomery
Capital Journal staff
Published/Last Modified on Friday, Jun 11, 2010 - 01:17:38 am CDT

PIERRE — A Fort Thompson man was sentenced Wednesday to more than four years in prison for bribery and theft.

Norman Thompson, 62, will serve 50 months in custody, followed by two years of supervised release. He will also pay a $12,000 fine, $1,000 in restitution and $100 to the victim assistance fund.

Thompson and co-defendents Archie Baumann, of Fort Pierre, and Randy Shields and Thomas Thompson, of Fort Thompson, were indicted in 2008 by a federal grand jury on multiple bribery accounts.
Advertisement

At that time, Norman Thompson was an elected official serving as a tribal council member for the Crow Creek Sioux Tribe. He also served as the tribal treasurer and served on the school board for the Crow Creek Tribal School.

In his capacity as an elected official, Thompson was an officer and agent authorized to act on behalf of the Crow Creek Sioux Tribe which received more than $10,000 in federal funds from various federal agencies during 2008.

During this time, Thompson illegally received bribes from Archie Baumann, a construction contractor from Fort Pierre, who was attempting to obtain construction contracts and other business from the Crow Creek Sioux Tribe.

All four men pled guilty to charges related to this incident. Thompson pled guilty to one count of Bribery Concerning Programs Receiving Federal Funds on March 29, 2010.

On Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Roberto Lange determined Thompson was an organizer and leader of a group of individuals engaged in a criminal bribery scheme involving members of the Crow Creek Tribal Council and Baumann.

Shields will be sentenced June 28. Thomas Thompson will be sentences Aug. 2 and Baumann will be sentenced Aug. 16.

Norman Thompson was allowed to self-report to the U.S. Marshal’s Service on June 23.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:19 pm 

http://64.38.12.138/News/2010/022139.asp

got one word for men like this... EXILE. if such men wish to conduct themselves like wasichu then they can go and live amongst the wasichu that they wish to emulate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:21 pm 

http://64.38.12.138/News/2010/022777.asp

it is for this very reason that i will be returning to Crow Creek and besides those that i have spoken words against have the right to say something to my face... and so i shall make Crow Creek the new residence for my face.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:16 am 

Wow. It always stuns me when someone in a position of authority abuses their sacred trust. But when I stop and really consider, why should I expect differently? After all each one of us is human with the base as well as the good. In no way am I excusing pitiful behavior. It makes me sad. And it makes me consider all that has gone before in a person's life that they would make such choices. ~Namaste~

But what caught my initial interest in the exhange was this:
Quote:
"... i think it is almost impossible to convey how deeply these men believed in the spoken word and for them to break their word was an unthinkable act... to late they realized that some People and Nations are unworthy of such trust... because it involves honor and integrity... something the united states has never had nor ever will... despite all the pretty words written on paper to the contrary. "

I can't dispute the truth of this but upon second reasoning, is it also not true that the "United States" is an institution? A construct as it were. And as such it can be no better than those who are in authority as well as those who are led by that authority?

And thus, "Americans" such as myself (and others) are also at the mercy of the "authority" of such institutions and as puny individual human beings, all we can do is the best we can do at any moment of the day. That some how we learn to "fight back" against the injustices that we see - even as we see them from a great remove due to geography - that once we know they exist, if we choose to blind ourselves and not do something ... some thing to allieve such suffering that we know exists, than we took have become part of this institution and agree with the inhumane treatment of such institutions by not doing all we can do at any given moment during the day - even if it is just a small thing such as a prayer.

Something to consider.

Albert Camus

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:20 pm 

It always amazes me how those who have a duty to serve the people who put them in office seek only to serve themselves. They become blinded by greed thus becoming easily corrupted more than they were before. There is a great shortage of honest people in every government.

Perhaps exile or bannishment would fit the crime. Would it not be just as fitting to have the Atticka, forgive my mispelling, along with the exile, take the offenders possessions and give them to those in most need? Confiscate the offenders home and give it to those in need of a nice warm home. In this way the greed and corruption would, at least, bennifit those with the greatest need.

I say this because in the days of the ancestors, would the Atticka not break a mans weapons and cut up his lodge if the offenders actions were deemed dangerous to the village as a whole or against the councils, for a lack of better words, orders? This could be a modern equilivant. It also would send a strong and clear message.

Just my thoughts on the subject

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:13 am 

Hau Flip...

indeed some of these thoughts that you have brought up are being debated as suitable punishment... as you can see these are not "dakota men" who had anything on their minds other than how to steal money from the poorest Children in america. these men had control of tribal council for 20 years and never did anything to help the People of Crow Creek only to help themselves, their families, and their supporters... my biggest question is where was the so called "oversight" of the united states bureau of indian assimilation superintendent Patrick Duffy??
I have half a mind to endorse the hanging of these men as suitable punishment... and as warning to any others who wish to steal from the children of Crow Creek... i agree with you Flip that all of them do need to have their ill gotten gains and assets which rightfully belong to the People seized and returned to the People... and then all who are guilty of this crime need to be exiled forever from Crow Creek Dakotah Oyate... a position which i know will be unpopular as even "men" such as these have their loyal lackeys that must also be dealt with... and for this very reason i will be moving back to Crow Creek within the next couple of weeks... because these "men" and their supporters need to understand that there are those who will not be intimidated or turned back by their threats of violence. the time is coming... all those who are my friends and those who know what i represent and how i think... the time is coming... to remember that as dakod and lakol wicasa... IT IS a Sacred Duty and Obligation to protect these women and children and if necessary die for them..
what i understand is that the boarding school generation is dying off and with them die the assimilated, defeatist attitudes that we must submit to the americans... this is a new generation and we understand that assimilation and colonialism are merely subsets of imperalism which was born out of the minds of white western european males in the 15th century and that imperialism is alive and well in america today in the form of the united states government and the united states bureau of indian assimilation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:38 am 

“I am tired of the state stepping on us. They think they can come on to the reservation and do whatever they want like the taking our children without exhausting all resources. I want to go on record saying we’re tired of the state pushing us around. I, for one, am not going to take it anymore,”

Peter Lengkeek
Treasurer of Crow Creek Dakotah Oyate

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:40 am 

"Die, if die you must, with arms in your hands like warriors and braves of the Dakota!"

Taoyateduta - September 1862

LITTLE CROW had no answer for Little Paul as to why the Lower Dakotas did not consult the Upper prior to their decision to start an all-out war. The circumstances did not even allow for leading lower chiefs, like Wabasha and Wakute, to be brought into the matter. Little Crow also sidestepped the plea for the release of the captives. Later, he did decide to release them--but for the time being the captives were Little Crow's ace in the hole for an eventual peace settlement. In replying to Little Paul, Crow chose to speak to the fact that the Dakotas were "dead men" as far as the whites were concerned, and that the only patriotic thing to do was to fight and die like warriors. Although he exaggerated about the fact that only one Sioux had been hanged by the whites in recent memory, he was quite correct in his realization as to the probable fate of most of his men. Within two months a military court would have over 300 Dakotas slated for the noose (Only President Lincoln's aversion to such an incredible mass killing prevented this from occurring.)

"Paul wants us to make peace. It is impossible to do so, if we desired. Did we ever do the most trifling thing, and the whites not hang us? Now we have been killing them by the hundreds in Dakota, Minnesota, and Iowa, and I know that if they get us into their power they will hang every one of us. As for me, I will kill as many of them as I can, and fight them till I die.

Do not think you will escape. There is not a band of Indians from the Redwood Agency to Big Stone Lake that has not had some of its members embroiled in the war. I tell you we must fight and perish together. A man is a fool and a coward who thinks otherwise, and who will desert his nation at such a time? Disgrace not yourselves by a surrender to those who will hang you up like dogs, but die, if die you must with arms in your hands, like warriors and braves of the Dakota!"

Sources: Heard, History of the Sioux War, 158-59; Uhazy was condemned for killing a Mrs. Keener on October 27, 1852; he was held in a Ramsey County Jail until his execution on December 27, 1854-although newspaper accounts do not indicate that any Dakotas witnessed the execution, it is obvious that the matter was greatly blown up in their minds--Minnesota Weekly Times, Dec. 29, 1854; Minnesota Democrat (St. Paul), Jan. 3, 1855.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:47 am 

the words of duane big eagle, tribal chairman of the bia occupational government that grew out of the indian reform act government that is currently in place at Crow Creek.

Attachments:
the thief's letter 001.jpg [223.9 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:13 pm 

ghostwarrior wrote:
the words of duane big eagle, tribal chairman of the bia occupational government that grew out of the indian reform act government that is currently in place at Crow Creek.

Hau Koda,

Perhaps there is a very important role waiting for you at Crow Creek. Crow Creek is in need of leaders and can well do without some who only want to be leaders, without being followers of the people. A good leader is often the one most willing to follow the words of those he leads.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:50 am 

Who were actually savage, barbarian, feral, uncivil?? It's only a rhetoric question..

"On July 3 1863, while he and his son Wowinapa were foraging for berries in a farmer's field, they were spotted by the landowner Nathan Lampson and his son. The four engaged in a brief firefight; Lampson and his son both shot and mortally wounded Little Crow. The chief then told his son to flee. Lampson's son then ran for nearly 12 miles to Hutchinson, Minnesota to gather a search-and-recovery party. The townspeople quickly departed to find a wounded Lampson and a dead and unidentified Dakota man. When they discovered the latter was Little Crow, they mutilated and displayed the body.
Nathan Lampson received a standard bounty for the scalp of a Dakota, plus an addition $500 bounty when it was discovered the remains were that of Little Crow. Little Crow's body was transported back to Hutchinson where it was again mutilated by the citizens. His body was dragged down the town's Main Street while firecrackers were placed in his ears and dogs picked at his head. After their celebration, the town disposed of the body in an alley, where ordinary garbage was regularly thrown. The Minnesota Historical Society received his scalp in 1868, and his skull in 1896. Other bones were collected at other times. In 1971, Little Crow's remains were returned to his grandson Jesse Wakeman (son of Wowinapa) for burial."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:51 pm 

Court Watch
by Mary Olive Johnson

US Attorney General Eric Holder has intervened in the bribery case of Crow Creek Tribal Chairman Duane Big Eagle.

On March 3, Big Eagle filed a motion requesting a Bill of Particulars naming participants in the conspiracy, official(s) Big Eagle is alleged to have bribed, and specifics of acts he is alleged to have committed to further the conspiracy. Big Eagle cited United States v. Bin Laden, in which 144 acts in six conspiracies in 12 countries over a 10-year period were alleged. In that case, the court ruled a Bill of Particulars was necessary because of the sheer volume of the discovery.

Holder responded five days later, stating that "Big Eagle is no Osama Bin Laden," requesting that the court deny the request.

He wrote that US Attorneys have delivered approximately 1,500 pages of discovery material, including statements by approximately three dozen witnesses, but Big Eagle "is charged with limited acts of public corruption with a relatively small group of confederates during two distinct and realtively short periods of time. The indictment and discovery provide the defendant with all that he needs to defend himself."

Holder stated "Big Eagle seeks to lock the government into a "script;" such that, if evidence at trial in June varies in any respect from what is anticipated in March, an objection can be made that the testimony is beyond the strict confines of what the government anticipated the proof would be several months earlier." He cited United States v. Cephas: "Specific acts need not be alleged with respect to every named defendant, if the indictment is otherwise sufficient and names the other persons involved in the criminal activity."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:53 pm 

A civil war is being waged for the future of Crow Creek Dakotah Oyate... i and my 8 yr old son, Dakotah, have been on the ground and fighting since January 5, 2011.

We are children of the Sun and We will not be overrun... we have faced the united states governments guns.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:13 am 

hau tanhansi....wopila tanka

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:26 am 

Hau Koda,

The hardest wars are often not fought with guns. Human greed is a very destructive poison and when fighting those who are consumed by it, you will find that it is a very frustrating battle.

It is sad because it often means you will find yourself fighting against the very people who should know better and not have allowed themselves to be consumed by greed. Once you face greedy people you will see a very ugly side to them and they will stoop to anything to hold onto what they have while stealing more.

May the Creator grant you patience in this battle and give you the strength to stand up against the lies that most certainly will come to be directed against you.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 16 of 26   [ 509 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 26  Next