It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:17 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Mary Brave Woman
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:38 pm 

For the first time, today, I finally got the chance to watch all of "Lakotah Woman: Seige at Wounded Knee". This is a woman for all peoples to look up to. Those were bad times, 1973, just as they are bad today. The world would be a better place with more women like her.

I have all 5 of the "We Shall Remain" series. If someone were to want these files, all I need is the knowledge on how to attach large files to an email.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mary Brave Woman
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:39 am 

there are many women of indian descent today on the reservations that do great things that go un noticed. All this talk of how "bad" it is...then and now .... apparently you have never been to any Lakota reservation.Go for yourself and see the good things that are happening.

The '70;s were a time of recognition for indian people... now is the time to break the stereo typical views that amerikkka has about indian people. Please get over the "victim" mentality attitude... we are not now, nor have we ever been victims ....

do you people write about the "poor black" or "poor white" areas of this country? Every nation has its problems .... every nation has a group that suffers .... again, look at all the good and stop focusing on past events and the bad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:22 am 

There are many Indian women that are doing great things.Take for instance Myrtle Driver, Cherokee N.C. "Beloved Woman". She translated a novel Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier from English into Cherokee.It was the first translated work since in the Cherokee Phoenix in 175 years.She translates other work, too.She was also on the production team for "We Shall Remain." PBS series. Jennifer PS Look up Ourmothertongues.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:52 am 

ndnhorseman wrote:
there are many women of indian descent today on the reservations that do great things that go un noticed. All this talk of how "bad" it is...then and now .... apparently you have never been to any Lakota reservation.Go for yourself and see the good things that are happening.

The '70;s were a time of recognition for indian people... now is the time to break the stereo typical views that amerikkka has about indian people. Please get over the "victim" mentality attitude... we are not now, nor have we ever been victims ....

do you people write about the "poor black" or "poor white" areas of this country? Every nation has its problems .... every nation has a group that suffers .... again, look at all the good and stop focusing on past events and the bad.

Ndnhorseman I subscribe to pushthelimit on youtube and one day this person's video came up on the side cue. Watching the videos posted since I have nothing but utmost respect for her, her husband and her children. These first two are really short but all, in their own way, are very heartening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DuvU14v ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiM87Gu7 ... rwKVOGLwcb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn4gwOjs ... rwKVOGLwcb

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:23 pm 

NDN, I never said anything about "poor" anything. I only saw the movie, and I reconize the womans courage. I respect her courage. I agree there are many indian men and women on every reservation who do good things and great things that go unreconized by those of us not living on a reservation. The only reservation I have been on was the Cherokee rez, in the Smokey Mountains, in the early 90's. One day I will visit Wounded Knee and pay my respect to those who fell that cold day.

If my post, which was meant to reconize a womans story and courage, was written in a way to demean, or portray as "poor", was unintended. I can not and will not apoligize for something I did not say or even imply. I do not believe any post I have written has ever played to the "victim mentality".

I have read your words, as well as GhostWarrior's, on your fight to preserve your language, culture and traditions. If I were not o this forun, I would not know of your good deeds. Because I do know of your deeds, I reconize your strengths, and courage. I can only reconize what I learn of.

There are good and bad things in every generation. Just as today there are good and bad in every society, culture. I believe she showed remarkable courage, which I have great respect for.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]