It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:56 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Plastic Paradise
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:52 pm 

Great Pacific Garbage Patch.Tons of plastic thrown away every year -Also birds and other animals are dying and eating plastic thinking it is food.http://www.plasticparadisemovie.com/media

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Plastic Paradise
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:41 pm 

Jennifer,

As I get older my memory gets worse. I can't remember if it was last year or the year before but I watched a documentary about this. Guy in NY looks around and starts wondering about plastic; where it comes from; how it's made and where does it go? His journey took him all across the US looking at plastic manufacturing and then out to the Northern Pacific gyre where he went out on a boat collecting floating plastics and then on to Asia.

So here's a bit of what I learned: I always thought plastic was made from oil. Well, now a big part of it is made using natural gas (so let's frack some more).

There are five gyres. One each in the North and South Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and another in the Indian Ocean.

After seeing all this destruction of wildlife and the ocean itself he was a bit depressed and jumped at the chance to go to one of Hawaii's most remote beaches. When they got there, and I am not exaggerating here, the beach was a good three to four feet deep in plastic garbage. I almost cried when his host told him that the beach had been completely cleaned three months before.

I never understood the need to buy a new bottle of water every time you want to drink water. I understand it if your water is contaminated in taste or quality but to just keep buying rather than refilling seems like madness. Especially considering that private corporations are selling water that they stole from you.

The last time I checked it out there was a video on youtube named Flow: For The Love Of Water which is, despite being a bit long, a very good documentary about the privatization of water. At one point an Indian from India is quoting an ndn from the US in the 1700s about the right for water. It is quite an elegant statement.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Plastic Paradise
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:02 pm 

I went for a walk whilst on holiday in Cape Town South Africa. The beach near my mother's house was covered in plastic bottle tops at high tide! It was as if the ocean had vomitted - I know that sounds gross but that is what it looked like. As if the ocean itself was sick. I thought about this forum when I was there. The American Indians were right about the nature. I read the other day of an Amazon tribe and a man from their tribe that said "Why do you white men need so much wood?" in response to all the trees being cut down to make way for development.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]