It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:47 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Massacres and denial: Why can’t America get it right?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:15 am 

“The land is believed to have gotten into non-Indian hands sometime after a process of allotment began in the late 1800s in which the federal government divided land among the Indians and gave some parcels to non-Indians.”

Hold on there cowboy, let’s not gloss over this “allotment” thingie that happened in the olden days.

What was the Allotment program? Some will say it was well intentioned, but it was a deliberate program of cultural genocide. Indian people in America had not disappeared like they were supposed by the turn of the 19th century so a frustrated US government decided to do what it always did when it got frustrated with Indians, it trashed the treaties. The treaties established that reservation lands were supposed to be governed by tribes as dependent sovereigns. Tribal or traditional culture is collectively organized, the individual functions as a member of something more important than themselves. Indian lands are not “owned” by individuals. The US government decided they didn’t like the way the tribes were using their reservation land collectively and all right-thinking white folks of the era agreed that Indians were way past their “assimilate by” date. So the Indians were forced into homesteads.

Homesteading had worked so well in the past you know, one in five white homesteads had actually succeeded to some extent! How could you go wrong with a model that had an 80% failure rate?

http://www.minnpost.com/minnesota-blog- ... 1481237582

Attachments:
failedcolonization.jpg
failedcolonization.jpg [ 15.88 KiB | Viewed 1487 times ]

Post subject: Re: Massacres and denial: Why can’t America get it right?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:06 pm 

hau ghostwarrior,

After reading this I went to CENSORED NEWS. Brenda Norrell had posted an article about Russell Means and at the bottom of the article was a link to a 2009 post by Brenda on Russell. An excerpt:

Means points out that the federal government has also taken over and polluted the educational system; “Americans don’t even know their own history. Along with this federal control, came the passage of English-only laws in many states. However, for Indigenous Peoples it is positive to know many languages. If you speak two languages, you are speaking with two brains. That is the way it is to us. That’s how we look at life. In the mid-Twentieth Century, US schools listened to the communities and local governing boards.”
“However, now the US educational policy has taken away local control and mandated federal guidelines. So now education has become a matter of money. Meanwhile, the real history is silenced. While the United States attempts to portray itself as a peace loving nation, the fact is the United States is at war every year. The United States breaks a host of international laws every year, which has been the pattern since 1946. American Indians were aware of what the US was doing, because the US had already broken all treaties with American Indians; treaties guaranteed by the US Constitution,” he said.
About the American revolution to throw off the British, Means pointed out how “his-story” has been manipulated; “There is a great deal of propaganda about why the US broke away from England. But the fact is that George Washington, the largest landowner, along with the slave owners, broke with England so that the original treaties of England with American Indians in the west would not have to be honored. The US broke with England, to invade the west and take the land. ”

http://bsnorrell.blogspot.com/2009/01/r ... obama.html

“Americans don’t even know their own history" reminded me of something Vine DeLoria, Jr. once said when asked what america was called before europeans came. Vine replied "Ours."

Glossing over history or bending it to make it "right" is the only way most americans can get through their lives. I just don't see that there will ever be much change on that. That we will never get it right.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:08 am 

hau lostspirit many around the world now see what we Indigenous Peoples have been saying from the beginning we are here and we are going to stay here and we are going to stay us for too long the americans have told the world that "american indians are happily assimilated when nothing could be further from the truth and i would also add that the precedent has been set in Syria for the americans to stay out of the civil wars of other nations and that includes the Seven Council Fires ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:50 pm 

We are the Indians that we are, we are peoples, we are Indians.
We want to continue to be the Indians that we are; we want to continue to be
the peoples that we are; we want to continue speaking the language we speak;
We want to continue thinking the words that we think;
we want to continue dreaming the dreams that we dream;
we want to continue loving those we love;
we want to be now what we already are;
we want our place now; we want our history now, we want the truth now.

Juan Chávez Alonso. Words presented at the National Congress,
March, 2001. Mexico

hau ghostwarrior, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Russell or you would disagree with this quote. Possibly americans have learned the error of their ways. I was most heartened with the reaction of people to not get involved in other nations wars and problems. I agree with you that americans have absolutely no business involving themselves into the Seven Council Fires. I just don't see any way for the human species to survive unless we start acting more Indian; quit polluting this planet and start taking care of the ones that are alive now,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:04 am 

hau lostspirit some of us still also remember to pray and speak for those who have no voice the winged ones the ones in the water and in the earth the crawling ones and also for those many who are still seven generations out waiting to be born to this world.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:56 pm 

ghostwarrior wrote:
some of us still also remember to pray and speak for those who have no voice the winged ones the ones in the water and in the earth the crawling ones and also for those many who are still seven generations out waiting to be born to this world.

hau ghostwarrior, that is what I meant when I said:
Lostspirit wrote:
I just don't see any way for the human species to survive unless we start acting more Indian; quit polluting this planet and start taking care of the ones that are alive now,

I don't want to be an Indian, I know that I cannot be and it is ridiculous to try, but I do want to emulate some Indian attitudes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:45 pm 

hau lostspirit i am always a little wary when i hear people say you need to live in the now as this is actually a tactic that is being employed by the invader and occupier who are still saying that indigenous people and nations need to get over it it was a long time ago.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:38 pm 

hau ghostwarrior, the title of this thread is Massacres and denial: Why can’t America get it right? Well, I received an e-mail alert from the NY Times under 'Natives.' Without mentioning those that were slaughtered this pithy article condones the american's actions. You can't get it right if you don't acknowledge it happened:
The trove of rare photographs, textiles, design manuals and garments on display in “An American Style: Global Sources for New York Textile and Fashion Design, 1915-1928,” which opens today in the Focus Gallery at the Bard Graduate Center, calls attention to a relatively unknown effort after World War I by the American Museum of Natural History to inspire and energize New York fashion designers. The initiative granted the designers unfettered access to the museum’s ethnographic collections of Native American, Mesoamerican, Andean and South American relics. Curators opened up the museum’s specimen storage rooms and lent artifacts, like beaded Native American dresses from the Blackfoot tribe, to design firms and department stores for inspiration. The goal was to develop a distinctly American (as opposed to European) design language, but the the museum ultimately abandoned the project and its fleeting dream of building a separate museum devoted to non-Western textile arts and industrial design, modeled after London’s Victoria & Albert Museum.

Now, the original artifacts are on view in the exhibition curated by Ann Marie Tartsinis, who thinks the initiative was embedded in the spirit of its time. A hand-batiked caftan from 1920, in particular, represents the convergence of the era’s artistic modernism and wartime nationalism. “The garment represents the bohemian style cultivated by the artistic and cultural avant-garde in New York in the 1920s, while displaying the confluence of global sources championed by the so-called ‘fashion staff’ at the museum,” she said. With fringe trending on the runways right now, it seems that legacy of the project is alive and well in the imaginations of designers today.

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2013 ... ntemail0=y

Stolen continents, stolen handcrafts, stolen bones. I bet they would say that it happened a long time ago and concerns us not.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:49 am 

Hau Mitakuyepi na mitacola,
May heard is full with hope again.After a some period of silence I found the Forum still alive.I see a ever actual discusion about never ended genocid for the Native americans.It is no acident that Lacotah named white man wasicu.This is may be the most exactly characterization for the white man.He-the white man always find an exusations for that he do.Some time in the name of his God,some time in the name of democracy,in the name of progres and cetera.But always by his own interes.This is becouse he put himself over the sacret circle of Life, even over the Creatore.He have no respect to Ina Maka,no respect to the other beings.For him thay are only part of the landscape create and given to him for unscrupulions explotation and destruction.Becuse of that he every day wound Ina Maka,every day poison the water and the ear.And one day he will distroy the all world.Becouse of that we must figth for Ina Maka,for all that the Creatore had given to us.We must keep the Sacret circle of Life ever alive.
This Forum must be always activ.It must be a monumet for leksi Russel and tribune fore his Cause.
Pilamaya aloh ghostwarior and lostspirit and to all activ members of this Forum.
Mitakuye oyasim

Toksa ake

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:38 pm 

ghostwarrior wrote:
hau lostspirit i am always a little wary when i hear people say you need to live in the now as this is actually a tactic that is being employed by the invader and occupier who are still saying that indigenous people and nations need to get over it it was a long time ago.

"My sister did a paper comparing this to the Holocaust and her teacher chastised her in front of the whole class. How dare she compare what happened in Germany to what happened in America.

"But in Hitler's own words he got his ideas of concentration camps from the United States. He did exactly what the United States did, take everything they own and put them in slave camps and if they did not obey then slaughtered them. Six million and around two thirds of the Jewish people died in the Holocaust, over 100 million Native Americans died and there are only around 3 million still alive today."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDgU4cdg ... qB-4QzLQKg

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]