Post a new topicPost a reply Page 15 of 26   [ 510 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: A state of war between Crow Creek Dakotah Oyate and the US
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:31 am 

You're right! Nothing more to add.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:32 pm 

Hau Flip... i thank you once again for your kind words. i am amazed sometimes at the depths of understanding in kindness in my small son who has a true understanding of what it is to be a human being. he has reponsibilities as well that he takes seriously and the first and foremost of these is that he is to remember he is Dakotah before all else... and then to be guided by the four principles that were instilled in me... courage, generosity, respect and wisdom. all of which form a circle of life for those who call themselves true human beings... they are NOT regalia to be put on... but a way of life and way of thinking that color every thought and every feeling. yet for all my words i know that they would be just words if he did not see me practicing these lifeways in my own life... and so it is as a pitiful human being who has been gifted this life i am ever reminded to be thankful for the many things that i have... and even more for those who loved and cared for me, themselves and our way of life to put these things in me as well.
It was not my intention for you to think that i took your offer of assistance lightly my new friend... i thank you for your offer to stand with the People yet i would also caution this is dangerous ground not only for the People but for those who also ally themselves with the People. it is a thing to consider... i admire your courage my friend to come forward in this way. i know the ikce wicasa (common People) are thankful to those who have helped and those who are helping to provide even the most basic necessities to the People. be well and in a good way for yourself.

Allen

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:47 pm 

"After the devastation of tribal economies and the deliberate creation of tribal dependence on the services provided by this agency, this agency set out to destroy all things Indian...This agency forbade the speaking of Indian languages, prohibited the conduct of traditional religious activities, outlawed traditional government, and made Indian people ashamed of who they were. Worst of all, the Bureau of Indian Affairs committed these acts against the children entrusted to its boarding schools, brutalizing them emotionally, psychologically, physically, and spiritually. .. The trauma of shame, fear and anger has passed from one generation to the next, and manifests itself in the rampant alcoholism, drug abuse, and domestic violence that plague Indian country .Many of our people live lives of unrelenting tragedy as Indian families suffer the ruin of lives by alcoholism, suicides made of shame and despair, and violent death at the hands of one another. So many of the maladies suffered today in Indian country result from the failures of this agency. Poverty, ignorance, and disease have been the product of this agency's work...."

Kevin Gover, Assistant Secretary-Indian Affairs, Bureau of Indian Affairs

And yet the bia/us government boot remains firmly on the throats of the People at Crow Creek and Pine Ridge. Nothing more and nothing less than... more meaningless words. I am not ashamed of who i am or the long and storied history of my Dakotah, Lakotah and Nakotah People upon this continent and no boat people or hang around the fort indians who worship that red, white and blue rag flag can or will ever take that from my heart and spirit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:22 pm 

Ghostwarrior, I did not think or feel you took my offfer lightly. I understand how the People are cautious of those who claim to want to help. Many wish to gain something in exchange. Historicaly it was land they wanted. I only seek wisdom and perhaps knowledge, to become a beter human being. The People always had some allies that were white, though I am only part white. History proves this to be true. During the Battle of Greasy Grass, the Lakotah, Cheyenne, adn Arahapo were better armed than Son of the Morning Star and his men.

I do not have much in the way of money, but I would offer my skills and knowledge to help the People. I work as a handyman and gardener. Yet, no one has told me how I could be of help. I do not want to just show up on the rez and say "Im here to help". I am not sure what kind of reception I would get. I have read on here about elders with mold problems, heating problems and other issues.

I have never sought a fight, but I do not run from one either. With a name like Ralph, you either have to be tough or get your ass beat often. :) I have learned enough about history, I know who was and is in the right. It is not the american government. I see the 50 stars on the flag and I see 10 nations who were lied to, oppressed, and victims of attempted genocide, for each star on that flag. I am not loyal to the flag, or government. I am loyal to this land, this country. Home of my ancestors, who I am trying to find out about. I see a bountiful land that has been raped and murdered. If I were wanted, I would fight with the People, and if it is my destiny, I would die with the People. I am also willing to work behind the scenes if that is what is wanted of me. I know what is right, who is right.

I do disagree with the statement about the reservations being prisoner of war camps. A prisoner of war is covered under the Genevia Convention, with certain rights guarenteed. The reservations are far worse place than a POW camp.

Also, thank you for calling me your friend.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:02 am 

[quote="Flip"]
I do not have much in the way of money, but I would offer my skills and knowledge to help the People. I work as a handyman and gardener. Yet, no one has told me how I could be of help. I do not want to just show up on the rez and say "Im here to help". I am not sure what kind of reception I would get. I have read on here about elders with mold problems, heating problems and other issues. quote]

Flip... these are the type of words that speak to the hearts of the People... for in truth we are a kind and generous People... yet we were also willing to fight for our right to be... we were just not prepared for a war of annihilation which is the western way of war and about as uncivilized as that word can be construed. I was taught that it is not what or how much you have... but how much you give. Yes it is true there were Allies at Greasy Grass... it is where my two youngest get their names from... their names were chosen to honor that old alliance between the Northern Cheyenne and the People. You can call the contact number at ROL... the need is great everywhere i look and it is killing my heart to see the young ones suffer under a poverty that can only be believed when one looks upon with his or her own eyes. Thank you my friend for understanding in a good way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:28 pm 

Ghostwarrior, thank you for the encouragement and information on how to help the People. It is too late in the year for me to think of such a journey at this time. It is approx 1300 miles from where I am currently living. I also am thinking of going back to Florida for the winter. I can get some work while I am there. Perhaps some of the people I used to work for would be willing to donate money or building materials for when I get there. I had worked for some fairly wealthy people. The work was no longer satisfying, is why I left.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:30 pm 

Flip... in addition there are many other worthy organizations that also help to try and ease the ongoing and pervasive poverty at Crow Creek and Pine Ridge. It is my thought the Dakotah and Lakotah People of these two places both of whom the very essence of flows through my very heart and spirit suffer so much because of the many who resisted imperialsim, colonialism and manifest destiny... we were one of the few People to not only hold them at bay but also to dictate to the american People on what they could and could not do upon our lands. there was a time when the very land shook beneath the power of so many warriors and horses, each an individual but also part of a larger whole... with one thought in mind... to defend the women... to defend the children... to defend honored grandmothers and grandfathers... to defend the village unto the death.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:53 pm 

"Iraq is simply a replay of American foreign policy towards Indians of the 1780s forward. Invade them and when they resist label them terrorists - Indians used to be "hostiles."

Vine Deloria, Standing Rock Sioux

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:16 pm 

ghostwarrior wrote:
we were one of the few People to not only hold them at bay but also to dictate to the american People on what they could and could not do upon our lands. there was a time when the very land shook beneath the power of so many warriors and horses, each an individual but also part of a larger whole... with one thought in mind... to defend the women... to defend the children... to defend honored grandmothers and grandfathers... to defend the village unto the death.

No words could be more true. I try not to dwell too much on the "what if". But often I have wondered how different history would be if the Lakotah, Crow, Blackfoot, Cree, Ree, and Shoshone, along with all other similar lifestyle peoples would have banded together to fight a common enemy. Such is not our history.

I am leary or sending any money to any organizations. Most of the monies donated go to upkeep of buildings and paying the top people in the organization as well as advertizing. I know with groups like the Red Cross, only $.25-$.30 of every dollar actually goes to the programs they run.

If I do go back to Florida for the winter, I can go to the dump and get paint for free 5 gallons at a time. I could probably bring 50 gallons and not overload my toy truck. Maybe less. I will start buying boxes of screws and such now. With mold issues, that would mean leaky roofs. I could get what is needed when I get into the area. As I have said, I will do whatever I can.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:59 am 

Flip wrote:

No words could be more true. I try not to dwell too much on the "what if". But often I have wondered how different history would be if the Lakotah, Crow, Blackfoot, Cree, Ree, and Shoshone, along with all other similar lifestyle peoples would have banded together to fight a common enemy. Such is not our history.

The invaders were met with the open hand of friendship. It was too late by the time it was realized the friendship was betrayed and the kindness extended was taken to be weakness. Such an enemy without honor had never been seen before. By the time it was seen the invaders did not come in peace, the people were scattered and unity had become impossible.

There must be a special place reserved in the hellfire for those who betray trust and friendship.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:02 pm 

I am not too sure of the existence of either heaven or hell. Hell has its orign in the christian teachings, there is no mention of it anywhere in the Torah or old testiment. but if there is such a place as hell, it surely would be populated by the peoples who act contrary to the Creators will. To my knowledge, there is no teachings of hell by the ancestors. The only teachings of the old ones I know of were by Open Door, the Shawnee prophet, brother of Techemsuh. His teachings were based on the christian belief. Why else would he want the People to throw away their medicine bags? And the witch hunts reminisent of the spanish inquisition?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:59 pm 

with no disrespect intended for anyone reading this .... our major problem is that ALL out side religions attempt to make thier beliefs the "truth" .... the L/D/N people have thier own ways and yet, many will still attempt to convert us to thier beliefs. Our way of life has been corrupted by to many outside sources ... and this is what I mean by my statements that we as a people....L/D/N .... need to teach our own first and forget about the others that are not of our Nation. While this sounds cruel and self centered... look at history and what has happened to our Nation .... while I niether condone christianity or islam ... they have no place on our reservation .... as they distract from the words and teachings of our Elders. Again ... before anyone gets thier panties in a wad....this is my opinion only .... in no way do i speak for any other person or any particular Nation of people.

Many attempt to say that there is only 1 true God .... yet, there are many that have proved beyond a reasonable doubt that they wordhip and pray to another besides the ones of the bible and quaran .... again... no disrespect to those that are of these faiths .... just my 2 beads worth

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:03 pm 

ndnhorseman wrote:
with no disrespect intended for anyone reading this .... our major problem is that ALL out side religions attempt to make thier beliefs the "truth" .... the L/D/N people have thier own ways and yet, many will still attempt to convert us to thier beliefs. Our way of life has been corrupted by to many outside sources ... and this is what I mean by my statements that we as a people....L/D/N .... need to teach our own first and forget about the others that are not of our Nation. While this sounds cruel and self centered... look at history and what has happened to our Nation .... while I niether condone christianity or islam ... they have no place on our reservation .... as they distract from the words and teachings of our Elders. Again ... before anyone gets thier panties in a wad....this is my opinion only .... in no way do i speak for any other person or any particular Nation of people.

Many attempt to say that there is only 1 true God .... yet, there are many that have proved beyond a reasonable doubt that they wordhip and pray to another besides the ones of the bible and quaran .... again... no disrespect to those that are of these faiths .... just my 2 beads worth

Peace ndnhorseman,

You are correct. When I am in your house or the house and home land of others. It is important to always respect the religion of the people who are my hosts and I am the guest.

My own teachings as a Muslim are very specific that we are not to compel our beliefs upon others and to respect all religions.

Forgive me if I have or ever do come across as belittling the beliefs of any people.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:33 pm 

leksi woodrow...thank you for your words.... you are what I call a "man of God" .... knowing that belief in a godhead is a individual choice .... many times others want to force feed people that do not agree with thier particular theology .... peace to you also

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:27 pm 

ndnhorseman wrote:
leksi woodrow...thank you for your words.... you are what I call a "man of God" .... knowing that belief in a godhead is a individual choice .... many times others want to force feed people that do not agree with thier particular theology .... peace to you also

Thank You ndnhorseman. It seems we both want the same thing. Mutual respect for each other is all either of us ask for. If you and I as two people can do this, why can't all people be capable of doing so? Sometimes I come to the feeling that the only Americans who understand mutual respect are the Americans who have been the most mistreated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:33 am 

Flip... these things you speak of... the paint, the screws... these are the very things that are needed to help the People of Crow Creek with their substandard and poorly maintained government housing. Truly the People at Crow Creek and the People at Pine Ridge are at the ass end of the american government's supply line when it comes to almost everything... from money for the upkeep of federal housing units to money for maintaining roads that are safe. i would even be willing to go with you and do some painting myself... small things perhaps but in a situation that is so desperately poor... even the small things mean a great deal to the People. Generosity is a thing the People, know, understand and have a great respect for... the only thing i would say is when you go to go with and open heart and spirit. thank you for thinking of the People in this way my friend.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:03 pm 

Allen, I would be honored to work beside you. It is a thing t look forward to. To read you words, was a pretty good birthday present for me. I will start saving what materials I can, and perhaps our schedules will work out to do this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:15 pm 

Hau Woodrow... is a good and kind human being and is true to his words... and i am honored to call him a friend as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:19 pm 

To the Survivors of the American Holocast
©2010

I understand why you made the choices you had to make.
I see that it was all or nothing.
In the end… the choice to remain.
For We have never in the past ever forgotten who the future always is.
Submit or be exterminated… a wise decision was made to survive.

The choice was never really yours to make… Ancestors Unborn always to be considered.
It was not understood that we understand that this life
Is more than about just today… but tomorrow and yesterday as well.
I am but one small pitiful human being among many pitiful human beings
Yet our human Children have suffered in silence since 1890.

I understand how hard it must have felt to feel...
Dismounted and disarmed.
A hopeless and frustrating feeling… no longer able to defend the women and children…
And the Old Ones.
I have seen it in the eyes of the People.
I have seen it reflected in my own eyes,
Felt it deep in my Heart.
The pain I see reflected in the eyes of many who listened to the lies of
The red, white and blue melted People.

It is always forgotten that we love this land and Dakod Wicohan Ki.
I understand the anger and frustration
Of not being able to defend the Women and Children
From those who rape and murder.
Not only human beings…
but Maka Ina herself.

In the end… I understand that the Boat People
Can no longer assimilate or annihilate us…
Because now the whole world knows what was done…
And is being done here in the americas
to the First Peoples of this Western Hemisphere.

Allen Milk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:57 am 

The Whites Are Liars
October 17, 1877

AFTER GENERAL TERRY departed, Sitting Bull agreed to talk to an American reporter. He recounted the reasons for his bitterness towards the Americans:

"I never taught my people to trust the whites. I have always told them the truth, that the whites are liars.

I have never dealt with the whites. Why should I? The land belonged to my people. I said I never dealt with them--I mean I never surrendered my people's rights.

I traded with them, but always gave them more than full value for what I got. I never asked the United States Government to make me presents of cloth, or anything else. I told every trader who came to our villages that I did not want any favors from him. I proposed to give him buffalo robes, elk skins and furs in exchange for what we wanted. I wanted to trade with him fairly and equally, giving him full value for what I got, but the traders wanted to give little for much. They told me if I did not accept what they give me in trade they would get the government to fight me. I told them I did not want to fight. I tried hard to prevent a fight but the government wanted everything we had. We had to fight.

I am a Lakota.... I was born on the bank of the Missouri river... . Now we have nothing. The United States government has stolen all we had; and besides that it has murdered our women and children whenever the army could sneak upon them. The country is full of troops now. If the army cannot kill us, it drives the buffalo away to starve us to death.... We do not want to fight, but we have been unable to hide from the army and had to fight. Now they want us to give them our ponies.... They do not belong to the government. The guns are also mine. I bought them and paid for them... . If they take them from us it is robbery.

As long as we had plenty of buffalo we could live. Now they are gone, almost all of them. We have nothing to eat and no land to put our lodges on. We will have to surrender. If we are starved, our grief will be over. If I had been the ruler of the great Lakota Nation in the days of my forefathers, I should have decorated the forest of the Atlantic coast with the scalps of the Europeans as fast as they came to this continent. Now my warriors are dead. My people slain. I yield by necessity, not by choice. It is vain to resist, but if I had an army I would forever remain in the field against you."

Tatanka Iyotanka

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 15 of 26   [ 510 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next