It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:24 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 13 of 26   [ 510 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: A state of war between Crow Creek Dakotah Oyate and the US
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:16 am 

Woodrow

thank you for posting these pictures... i can close my eyes and imagine the caress of the wind bringing the smell of sage and prairie grass in the picture with the moon. my son Dakotah who is in first grade, as part of a classroom exercise this year was asked to list four things that he thought human beings needed... most kids puts things like playstations, computers, ipods, cars...etc etc... the four items on my boys list were... food, water, air and a house.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:31 am 

"A treaty, in the minds of our people, is an eternal word. Events often make it seem expedient to depart from the pledged word, but we are conscious that the first departure creates a logic for the second departure, until there is nothing left of the word."

Declaration of Indian Purpose (1961) - American Indian Chicago Conference.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:35 am 

"In early days we were close to nature. We judged time, weather conditions, and many things by the elements--the good earth, the blue sky, the flying of geese, and the changing winds. We looked to these for guidance and answers. Our prayers and thanksgiving were said to the four winds--to the East, from whence the new day was born; to the South, which sent the warm breeze which gave a feeling of comfort; to the West, which ended the day and brought rest; and to the North, the Mother of winter whose sharp air awakened a time of preparation for the long days ahead. We lived by God's hand through nature and evaluated the changing winds to tell us or warn us of what was ahead.

Today we are again evaluating the changing winds. May we be strong in spirit and equal to our Fathers of another day in reading the signs accurately and interpreting them wisely. May Wah-Kon-Tah, the Great Spirit, look down upon us, guide us, inspire us, and give us courage and wisdom. Above all, may He look down upon us and be pleased."

Unknown Speaker addressing the National Congress of American Indians in the mid 1960's

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:36 am 

"The white people who are trying to make us over into their image, they want us to be what they call assimilated, bringing the Indians into the mainstream and destroying our own way of life and our own cultural patterns. They believe we should be contented like those whose concept of happiness is materialistic and greedy, which is very different from our way.

We want freedom from the white man rather than to be integrated. We don't want any part of the establishment, we want to be free to raise our children in our religion, in our ways, to be able to hunt and fish and to live in peace. We don't want power, we don't want to be congressmen, bankers, we want to be ourselves. We want to have our heritage, because we are the owners of this land and because we belong here.

The white man says there is freedom and justice for all. We have had "freedom and justice," and that is why we have been almost exterminated. We shall not forget this."

1927 Grand Council of American Indians

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:46 pm 

ghostwarrior wrote:
"The white people who are trying to make us over into their image, they want us to be what they call assimilated, bringing the Indians into the mainstream and destroying our own way of life and our own cultural patterns. They believe we should be contented like those whose concept of happiness is materialistic and greedy, which is very different from our way.

We want freedom from the white man rather than to be integrated. We don't want any part of the establishment, we want to be free to raise our children in our religion, in our ways, to be able to hunt and fish and to live in peace. We don't want power, we don't want to be congressmen, bankers, we want to be ourselves. We want to have our heritage, because we are the owners of this land and because we belong here.

The white man says there is freedom and justice for all. We have had "freedom and justice," and that is why we have been almost exterminated. We shall not forget this."

1927 Grand Council of American Indians

Hau Koda,

You speak truth and wisdom.

There is a big difference between freedom and FREEDOM

The First Nation People had FREEDOM ripped out of their hands and hearts and now they are demanded to buy freedom from what remains of their heart and out of gratitude kiss the feet of those who stomp on their faces.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:03 pm 

Hau Woodrow

these things that you say i find nothing but truth in... they bring to mind a story my uncle told me back in the day about growing up in crow creek and a litter of puppies my uncle had as a child. the story went like this... as a boy he had a dog and this rez dog had a large litter of puppies. about the same time he said that Grandma Firecloud, (who did her best to hold on to my mother and her brothers but in the end was declared by the bureau of indian assimilation to be too old to care for children, in truth she was too traditional, this is the same wise elderly woman who told me that i am a Dakotah...not a Sioux.) told him that she had come in to a little money so that she could feed her grandchildren meat... yet he said he did not figure out for a long time that he was eating his puppies because as they disappeared one by one, Grandma Firecloud told him that there must be a bear or badger about eating his beloved puppies... and this was in the late 1940's. i know of families in Crow Creek who's children suffer this exact same type of deprivation TODAY... June 1, 2010.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:45 pm 

"Friends," said Red Cloud, "it has been our misfortune to welcome the white man. We have been deceived. He brought with him some shining things that pleased our eyes; he brought weapons more effective than our own: above all, he brought the spirit water that makes one forget for a time old age, weakness, and sorrow. But I wish to say to you that if you would possess these things for yourselves, you must begin anew and put away the wisdom of your fathers. You must lay up food, and forget the hungry. When your house is built, your storeroom filled, then look around for a neighbor whom you can take at a disadvantage, and seize all that he has! Give away only what you do not want; or rather, do not part with any of your possessions unless in exchange for another's.

"My countrymen, shall the glittering trinkets of this rich man, his deceitful drink that overcomes the mind, shall these things tempt us to give up our homes, our hunting grounds, and the honorable teaching of our old men? Shall we permit ourselves to be driven to and fro -- to be herded like the cattle of the white man?" His next speech that has been remembered was made in 1866, just before the attack on Fort Phil Kearny. The tension of feeling against the invaders had now reached its height. There was no dissenting voice in the council upon the Powder River, when it was decided to oppose to the uttermost the evident purpose of the government. Red Cloud was not altogether ignorant of the numerical strength and the resourcefulness of the white man, but he was determined to face any odds rather than submit.

"Hear ye, Dakotas!" he exclaimed. "When the Great Father at Washington sent us his chief soldier [General Harney] to ask for a path through our hunting grounds, a way for his iron road to the mountains and the western sea, we were told that they wished merely to pass through our country, not to tarry among us, but to seek for gold in the far west. Our old chiefs thought to show their friendship and good will, when they allowed this dangerous snake in our midst. They promised to protect the wayfarers.

"Yet before the ashes of the council fire are cold, the Great Father is building his forts among us. You have heard the sound of the white soldier's ax upon the Little Piney. His presence here is an insult and a threat. It is an insult to the spirits of our ancestors. Are we then to give up their sacred graves to be plowed for corn? Dakotas, I am for war!"

In less than a week after this speech, the Sioux advanced upon Fort Phil Kearny, the new sentinel that had just taken her place upon the farthest frontier, guarding the Oregon Trail. Every detail of the attack had been planned with care, though not without heated discussion, and nearly every well-known Sioux chief had agreed in striking the blow. The brilliant young war leader, Crazy Horse, was appointed to lead the charge. His lieutenants were Sword, Hump, and Dull Knife, with Little Chief of the Cheyennes, while the older men acted as councilors. Their success was instantaneous. In less than half an hour, they had cut down nearly a hundred men under Captain Fetterman, whom they drew out of the fort by a ruse and then annihilated.

These are the words of my great great grandfather... a fearless warrior, brilliant military tactician, generous human being, and distinguished orator and stateman of our Dakotah Oyate. If it is our time to die then so be it... at least some of us remember who we are and where we come from and we will go down fighting for the women, children and our Dakotah Wicohan Ki.

Honor your treaties America.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:30 am 

and that battle rages still today... to remain who we are and not who they tell us we are. i raise mine to know that they are People and human beings of Dakotah Oyate... not "american citizens" whatever that means because everything that word implies has been bought, borrowed or stolen and yet is proudly proclaimed to the world as their own when nothing could be further from the truth.

of all the men who come to this forum SR... i find your opinion the most valid of them all merely because in your statements you remember the truth and that truth is that we must raise our children correctly and do what is necessary by them. i think you are one of these men who not only take care of their own but watch out for those of others and though you may not be able to help them all... for those few moments that these small ones might know they are safe in a world gone mad... it is an easy thing to teach with patience and love.... when one keeps in mind that all children... are nothing more and nothing less than children... and what comes out of them is what we as grandparents, parents, brothers, sisters, aunties, uncles and cousins put into them and show them. i put Dakotah thoughts, feelings, stories, heros, statesmen, warriors, into my children... not "american" just as those who cared for me... not only did for me but showed me as well with their actions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:03 pm 

Just a rant here. I am a bit angry at the moment. About 2 weeks ago I met some very fine Natrive american Craftsman and am very impressed with their wares and offered to sell them with 100% 0f any profit going to the craftsman. That is all fine and I am doing that.

However, I made the mistake of attending a Christian "Church" service conducted by a Pastor, Minister, whatever that several of the people follow. I do not hide my religious affiliation and my choice of clothing makes it obvious. anyhow I acted polite and kept my mouth shut during the services.

I just found out that the "Preacher" called all of my new friends and warned them not to associate with me, do business with me nor allow me in their homes because I am Muslim.

The good part is all but one said they will stop following that preacher and stop going to that church.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:41 am 

Hau Woodrow

there are always going to be People who judge a book by its cover not understanding that within each human being there is a heart and a spirit that is a unique creation of Wakan Tanka, each upon their own life's journey... BUT it is a journey that was never meant to include raping and destroying the very earth that sustains us... all in pursuit of better ways for the american People to be lazy, i want it now daddy consumers of limited and finite resources that belong to every living thing on the planet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:51 am 

"If the Great Spirit has desired me to be a white man he would have made me so in the first place. He put in your heart certain wishes and plans; in my heart he put other and different desires.

Each man is good in the sight of the Great Spirit. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows. Now we are poor but we are free. No white man controls our footsteps. If we must die, we die defending our rights."

Sitting Bull - Lakotah

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:21 pm 

ghostwarrior wrote:
"If the Great Spirit has desired me to be a white man he would have made me so in the first place. He put in your heart certain wishes and plans; in my heart he put other and different desires.

Each man is good in the sight of the Great Spirit. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows. Now we are poor but we are free. No white man controls our footsteps. If we must die, we die defending our rights."

Sitting Bull - Lakotah

The more I read of Tatanka Iyotake, the more I admire his wisdom.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:39 pm 

As a full blood of Dakotah/Lakotah/Nakotah heritage enrolled at Crow Creek i call upon the Elders of Crow Creek to consider whether it is a good thing to fly the flag of the united states at events of the People. Have the People of Crow Creek forgotten that the Ancestors were brought as Prisoners of War to Ft Thompson and women and children brutalized and starved to death beneath that red, white and blue rag flag??? We are not americans or united states citizens… we are Dakotah Oyate!

http://www.indiancountrytoday.com/archive/28217624.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:28 pm 

ghostwarrior wrote:
As a full blood of Dakotah/Lakotah/Nakotah heritage enrolled at Crow Creek i call upon the Elders of Crow Creek to consider whether it is a good thing to fly the flag of the united states at events of the People. Have the People of Crow Creek forgotten that the Ancestors were brought as Prisoners of War to Ft Thompson and women and children brutalized and starved to death beneath that red, white and blue rag flag??? We are not americans or united states citizens… we are Dakotah Oyate!

http://www.indiancountrytoday.com/archive/28217624.html

Hau ghostwarrior,

I feel it is a disgrace for the people of Crow Creek to fly the USA flag. That is like if the Palestinians in Gaza were flying the Israel flag. the Stars and Stripes does not represent all Americans and definitely does not represent the only people that can honestly be called American.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:32 pm 

I am truly astonished that the French have so little cleverness. They try to persuade us to convert our poles, our barks, and our wigwams into their houses of stone and of wood that are as tall and lofty as these trees. Very well! But why do men of five to six feet in height need houses that are sixty to eighty?

Do we not have all the advantages in our houses that you have in yours, such as reposing, drinking, sleeping, eating, and amusing ourselves with friends when we wish?

Have you as much ingenuity as the Indians, who carry their houses and their wigwams with them so that they may lodge wherever they please? We can say that we are at home everywhere, because we set up our wigwams with ease wherever we go, without asking permission from anyone.

You reproach us - very inappropriately - and tell us that our country is a little hell in contrast with France, which you compare to a terrestrial paradise. If this is true, why did you leave it? Why did you abandon your wives, children, relatives, and friends?

Which of these is the wisest and happiest - he who labors without ceasing and only obtains, with great trouble, enough to live on, or he who rests in comfort and finds all that he needs in the pleasure of hunting and fishing?

Learn now, my brother, once and for all, because I must open my heart to you : There is no Indian who does not consider himself infinitely more happy and more powerful than the French.

Micmac Chief - 1676

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:32 pm 

The white man does not understand America. He is far removed from its formative processes. The roots of the tree of his life have not yet grasped the rock and the soil.

The white man is still troubled by primitive fears; he still has in his consciousness the perils of this frontier continent, some of it not yet having yielded to his questing footsteps and inquiring eyes.

He shudders still with the memory of the loss of his forefathers upon its scorching deserts and forbidding mountaintops. The man from Europe is still a foreigner and an alien. And he still hates the man who questioned his path across the continent.

But in the Indian the spirit of the land is still vested; it will be a long time until other men are able to divine and meet its rhythm. Men must be born and reborn to belong. Their bodies must be formed of the dust of their forefathers' bones.

Chief Luther Standing Bear - Oglala Lakotah

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:02 am 

ghostwarrior wrote:
The white man does not understand America. He is far removed from its formative processes. The roots of the tree of his life have not yet grasped the rock and the soil.

The white man is still troubled by primitive fears; he still has in his consciousness the perils of this frontier continent, some of it not yet having yielded to his questing footsteps and inquiring eyes.

He shudders still with the memory of the loss of his forefathers upon its scorching deserts and forbidding mountaintops. The man from Europe is still a foreigner and an alien. And he still hates the man who questioned his path across the continent.

But in the Indian the spirit of the land is still vested; it will be a long time until other men are able to divine and meet its rhythm. Men must be born and reborn to belong. Their bodies must be formed of the dust of their forefathers' bones.

Chief Luther Standing Bear - Oglala Lakotah

Very interesting and very profound. Something I will be thinking over for many days to come.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:21 pm 

Red Cloud
Makhpiya-Luta
(1822-1909)

As a warrior and a statesman, Red Cloud's success in confrontations with the United States government marked him as one of the most important Lakota leaders of the nineteenth century.

Although the details of his early life are unclear, Red Cloud was born near the forks of the Platte River, near what is now North Platte, Nebraska. His mother was an Oglala and his father, who died in Red Cloud's youth, was a Brulé Red Cloud was raised in the household of his maternal uncle, Chief Smoke.

Much of Red Cloud's early life was spent at war, first and most often against the neighboring Pawnee and Crow, at times against other Oglala. In 1841 he killed one of his uncle's primary rivals, an event which divided the Oglala for the next fifty years. He gained enormous prominence within the Lakota nation for his leadership in territorial wars against the Pawnees, Crows, Utes and Shoshones.

Beginning in 1866, Red Cloud orchestrated the most successful war against the United States ever fought by an Indian nation. The army had begun to construct forts along the Bozeman Trail, which ran through the heart of Lakota territory in present-day Wyoming to the Montana gold fields from Colorado's South Platte River. As caravans of miners and settlers began to cross the Lakota's land, Red Cloud was haunted by the vision of Minnesota's expulsion of the Eastern Lakota in 1862 and 1863. So he launched a series of assaults on the forts, most notably the crushing defeat of Lieutenant Colonel William Fetterman's column of eighty men just outside Fort Phil Kearny, Wyoming, in December of 1866. The garrisons were kept in a state of exhausting fear of further attacks through the rest of the winter.

Red Cloud's strategies were so successful that by 1868 the United States government had agreed to the Fort Laramie Treaty. The treaty's remarkable provisions mandated that the United States abandon its forts along the Bozeman Trail and guarantee the Lakota their possession of what is now the Western half of South Dakota, including the Black Hills, along with much of Montana and Wyoming.

The peace, of course, did not last. Custer's 1874 Black Hills expedition again brought war to the northern Plains, a war that would mean the end of independent Indian nations. For reasons which are not entirely clear, Red Cloud did not join Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull and other war leaders in the Lakota War of 1876-77. However, after the military defeat of the Lakota nation, Red Cloud continued to fight for the needs and autonomy of his people, even if in less obvious or dramatic ways than waging war.

Throughout the 1880's Red Cloud struggled with Pine Ridge Indian Agent Valentine McGillycuddy over the distribution of government food and supplies and the control of the Indian police force. He was eventually successful in securing McGillycuddy's dismissal. Red Cloud cultivated contacts with sympathetic Eastern reformers, especially Thomas A. Bland, and was not above pretending for political effect to be more acculturated to white ways than he actually was.
Fearing the Army's presence on his reservation, Red Cloud refrained from endorsing the Ghost Dance movement, and unlike Sitting Bull and Big Foot, he escaped the Army's occupation unscathed. Thereafter he continued to fight to preserve the authority of chiefs such as himself, opposed leasing Lakota lands to whites, and vainly fought allotment of Indian reservations into individual tracts under the 1887 Dawes Act. He died in 1909, but his long and complex life endures as testimony to the variety of ways in which Indians resisted their conquest.

http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/people/i_r/redcloud.htm

it would seem that i am carrying on an old family tradition. like my great grandfather there is no quit in me so do not mistake me for some pretender or wannabe i am who i am... Madakotah!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:51 am 

I remember the old men of my village. These old, old men used to prophesy about the coming of the white man. They would go about tapping their canes on the adobe floor of the house, and call to us children.

"Listen! Listen! The gray-eyed people are coming nearer and nearer. They are building an iron road. They are coming nearer every day. There will be a time when you will mix with these people. That is when the Gray Eyes are going to get you drink hot, black water, which you will drink whenever you eat. Then your teeth will become soft."

"They will get you to smoke at a young age, so that your eyes will run tears on windy days, and your eyesight will be poor. Your joints will crack when you want to move slowly and softly."

"You will sleep on soft beds and will not like to rise early. When you begin to wear heavy clothes and sleep under heavy covers, then you will grow lazy. Then there will be no more singing heard in the valleys you walk."

"When you begin to eat with iron sticks, your tones will grow louder. You will speak louder and talk over your parents. You will grow disobedient, You will mix with those gray-eyed people, and you will learn their ways; you will break up your homes, and murder and steal."

Such things have come true, and I have to compare my generation with the old generation. We are not as good as they were; we are not as healthy as they were.

How did these old men know what was coming? That is what I would like to know.

James Paytiamo - Acoma Pueblo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:52 am 

Ten Lowest Median Average Incomes of Larger Reservations, 2000 *

Crow Creek Reservation, South Dakota - Population: 1,856 - Average Income: $4,043

San Carlos Reservation, Arizona Population: 8,769 - Average Income: $4,970

Rosebud Reservation, South Dakota Population: 8,687 - Average Income: $5,613

Pine Ridge Reservation, South Dakota Population: 14,255 - Average Income: $5,619

Santo Domingo Pueblo, New Mexico Population: 3,106 - Average Income: $5,620

Pascua Yaqui Reservation, Arizona Population: 2,928 Average Income: $5,627

Fort Apache Reservation, Arizona Population: 11,597 Average Income: $5,724

Gila River Reservation, Arizona Population: 10,317 Average Income: $5,746

Zuni Reservation Population: 7,377 Average Income: $6,029

Lower Brule Reservation Population: 1,197 Average Income: $6,129

*Reservations with American Indian Populations greater than 1,000

Source: Jonathan B. Taylor and Joseph P. Kalt, Data Files for American Indians on Reservations: A Databook of Socioeconomic Change between the 1990 and 2000 Census.

1856 People x $4,043 = $7,503,808

An accurate dollar amount if everyone of those 1856 were adults and were employed. The fact remains that the unemployment rate at Crow Creek is regularly 80%+ and above. So when the People of the united states in the form of their elected representatives and the internal revenue service extorted $3,000,000 dollars from the People of Crow Creek Dakotah Oyate the People of the united states in essence removed the equivalent of nearly a years worth of money from the Tribe's bank accounts and from the families who already live in extremes of poverty. During the time that the united states government was raiding the tribe's bank account... tribal employees went as long as two months without getting paid. I would like to see how many of the american People could survive for two months without any income and not become suicidal, destitute, or self medicating.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 13 of 26   [ 510 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 26  Next