It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:32 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Setting the record straight for those that are Cherokee
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:06 pm 

many times I have seen the term "royality" used when many speak of thier Cherokee heritage. So, I asked a Cherokee tribal member if there was such a thing .... she pointed me in the direction of a website called ...."All Things Cherokee" .... www.alllthingscherokee.com in case you are interested .... here is a excerpt takern directly from the website ....

"The Cherokee, like other Native American cultures, do not have royalty or royal titles" ....

She said that this site was as about as accurate as they come .... if this website is not accurate, I would like to know so as to inform the site owner that there are mistakes. As Ameriican Indian people , we must help one another disspell the myths written not only by dominant society, but by our own people.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Setting the record straight for those that are Cherokee
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:09 pm 

the folks that told Jennifer that she was royalty probably meant she was of a clan that were very respected and well regarded as leaders and/or healers, some people say the Cherokee had/have no Bear Clan, yet at a Traditional Fast i attended i met a woman whose mother was raised on the rez and this woman told me she found out she was Bear Clan, she said a sign was given to her saying this before she found this out, a Cherokee brother from there told me he thought he was Wolf Clan for a long time and he found out he was Long Hair Clan which sounded right from knowing him, if i am correct the Wolf Clan were/are keepers of social gathering and such and Long Hair Clan were/are spiritual law keepers and such

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:33 pm 

The man that told me that I come from Cherokee Royalty is a historian and a teacher and a tribal member of the Cherokees.He meant my family came from the paint clan or the prominent medicine man clan and the wolf clan from where a lot of their chiefs came from.It is a slang among the Cherokees not really meaning royalty but as Pahanna said a respected clan. Moytoy or Amatoy was considered the Emperor of the Cherokees because he started the Cherokees and he was my ancestor.I had 6 or 7 chiefs in my family that were my direct ancestors..I have seen Cherokee Royalty signs on their floats in their parades.This is not to disrespect anyone.Jennifer

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:23 pm 

There are 7 clans of the Cherokee;the blue clan, the long hair clan,the bird clan,the paint clan,the deer clan,the wild potato clan and the wolf clan. The wolf clan is the most prominent and the largest clan.The wild potato clan is also known as the bear or raccoon clan .Jennifer

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:43 am 

I just want everyone to know that I am not of royal blood or think that I am.No one is of royal blood.No human should bow down before another human. We are only suppose to bow down before God.Jennifer

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:44 pm 

Hau mitakuye
This one recalls reading one of the innumerable treaties of the 19th century ,one of the signatories of which was named simply as Prince.Not sure still on this site since the cull but will look out for it.
Toksa Ake

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]