It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:21 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Yellow Jacket Soup
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:57 am 

Although the mention of "yellow jacket soup" immediately raises an eyebrow on those unaccustomed to such a food.It was actually a delicacy and should not be criticized until tried.Only the bravest dare venture into the preparation of this exotic Eastern Indian food.Secure an entire nest of ground-dwelling yellow jackets when it is full of grubs. Loosen all the uncovered grubs by heating and remove them.Heat the nest with the remaining grubs over a fire until the thin paper-like covering parches.Pick out the yellow jackets and brown them over the fire.Cook the browned yellow jackets in boiling water to make soup and season to taste.Good luck and good eating!!Jennifer

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Yellow Jacket Soup
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:38 pm 

i have heard of yellow jacket soup but have never had any yet, i have been stung by enough of them though, you described it so i want to try some, next time i get in a nest of them maybe i will dig them out if i can figure how to do it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:30 pm 

I don't advise anyone getting into a yellow jacket's nest.I have that recipe in one of my books.My ex-husband got into a yellow jacket nest while cutting grass on the riding lawnmower.They went up his shorts leg and he didn't wear underwear.He got off the mower and flew inside.The crazy idiot put alcohol on his you-know-whats and was screaming bloody murder lying in front of the fan.Jennifer

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:21 pm 

Now, here is a good Cherokee recipe.Batter-fried squash blossoms.I fixed these as long as I had squash last summer.Makes a good snack.Pick 2-3 dozen of squash blossoms as they are about to open in the mornings.1 cup of milk.One half cup of cooking oil.2tablespoons of cornmeal or flour,a pinch of pepper and a pinch of salt.In a large plastic bag combine milk,cornmeal or flour,salt and pepper.Put blossoms in plastic bag. Heat oil until a drop of water will sizzle. Drop each blossoms in the hot oil in a skillet and fry until brown.These are delicious and safe!Won't bite you.You have to cook them that day. Jennifer

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:49 pm 

Craig wrote:
I don't advise anyone getting into a yellow jacket's nest.I have that recipe in one of my books.My ex-husband got into a yellow jacket nest while cutting grass on the riding lawnmower.They went up his shorts leg and he didn't wear underwear.He got off the mower and flew inside.The crazy idiot put alcohol on his you-know-whats and was screaming bloody murder lying in front of the fan.Jennifer

Hey Jennifer, something I learned from an older brother is when stung by a wasp put vinegar on it. I thought "Oh yeah another old wife's tale." Two months later I stepped on a yellow jacket and thought "Why not, I don't have anything better on hand." I was truly surprised when the pain and discomfort immediately went away. I didn't even need a fan. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:07 pm 

Lostspirit,thanks on the vinegar tip.Vinegar has 1001 uses.Here is another use for vinegar to help the Lakotas on the black mold issue.Put on a mask and gloves and wipe down the moldy area with vinegar.Vinegar will kill the mold.Let it dry using a fan(here we go with the fan) then go to the hardware or paint store and get some Kilz- a paint primer that covers stains and then paint the room with a moisture resistant paint.Also,put vinegar in a bowl and set it in the room for a few days and it will absorb all the moldy smells and spores out of the room and will make it smell better.Be sure to keep the house dry especially the bathroom, so the mold won't have a chance to grow.It works. I have done it.Jennifer

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]