PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:10 pm 

StormsRider, Is this you? :)

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budget ... -budgeting

Confessions of Extreme Penny Pinchers

Courtesy: Mike Hammack

I Became 'Quasi-Amish'

Name: Mike Hammack
Hometown: McLeansboro, Ill.

After going through a foreclosure and dealing with massive debt and stress before filing for bankruptcy, my wife and I wanted to start over. We moved to a 1974 junk mobile home at the end of a dead-end road in the middle of nowhere, in southern Illinois.

Our only bills now are water, cell phones, wireless Internet, electricity, auto and property insurance, and gas for my wife to drive to work and diesel for the farm equipment. Our total cost of living has dropped from $50,000-plus per year to less than $10,000.

Where once the food came from the store, now it comes from the garden and pasture. Now 75% of our electric use is solar.

My friends call me "quasi-Amish" because I'm so cheap nowadays I will often ride a horse to town before I will turn the key on my truck. My income went from $15,000 per year as a dishwasher at a restaurant to over $35,000 by selling eggs, chickens, goats and cows.

Moving to the middle of nowhere was a huge change, but the burden of the money pit house is gone and finally there is no financial stress. Sure, the mobile home looks [ugly], but it is completely remodeled inside and is actually nice. It also keeps the property taxes at $48 a year -- compared to $7,000 on our old house.

Just thought I would ask. Much about it reminded me of you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: StormsRider?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:08 am 

sorry have not been coming here much of late. LOL yes thats me CNN money contacted me asking if I would let them use parts of another recent story for the penny pinchers story. Figured why not, the journalist got several things wrong in my portion of it but enough right that I didn't complain. I can't let the cat out of the bag about the other story just yet (Non Disclosure because it has not been on TV yet).
LMAO the Quasi Amish part is a running joke with a old friend who started calling me that in 2008 when we went ummmm very rustic. For the record I don't miss the big fancy brick house and the status attached to it. I much prefer the real status of being respected for helping others when I can, being honest, and doing the best with what I have.
The biggest and most confusing part /error is that I was foreclosed on and filed bankruptcy. That was actually my girlfriend then/ wife now. I can't say I was not partly responsible for that happening but my assets and credit did not get hurt because of it. That is the only reason we were able to start over on the farm and use my savings to buy the land, the solar and the junk equipment I have worked my ass off to get repaired and in working order. I also emptied my life savings of $90,000 in starting this farm. instead of 40 acres and a mule, it was 40 acres and a junk oliver tractor. The point is we lost our ass and knocked our selves down and recovered. I make more, My wife makes the same and we have everything we need, save some, and give some to a couple of the reservations. We won't ever be going back to where we were in 06/07 living large and looking good might be impressive but it is a very hollow existence.
SR/Mike

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:12 pm 

Stormsrider, glad to see your voice, dont let the bastards get you down, Peace untill the blue man bites the dust, A-ho in a new agey kind of way from a mongrel coonass- red around the neck and my asshole stinks- shoo lord i got to be humble

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:17 pm 

I was not too sure. I remembered you signed a few post "Mike" then I read the southern Ill. part, then did the math. I actually thought I was wrong. It is cool to be right occasionally

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]